Feb 29, 2012, 12:23 PM EDT
The Lightning were already dealing with some nasty injuries to their lineup. Mattias Ohlund, Vincent Lecavalier, and Victor Hedman are all banged up. Making matters worse, a wicked stomach flu bug is running rampant through the locker room.
Erik Erlendsson of The Tampa Tribune shares the gory details of health turned upside down.
Nate Thompson and Brendan Mikkelson missed the morning skate with a stomach virus and were scratched against the Canadiens. Tim Wallace, who made his Tampa Bay debut Saturday in Pittsburgh, also was sidelined as the coaching staff scrambled to find 18 healthy skaters.
Things are so out of control that the Lightning had to cancel a media event thanks to the outbreak. You have to think that puking your guts out doesn’t make for much of a photo op. Illness always goes through a locker room like crazy but seeing three guys knocked out of action is impressive for all the wrong reasons.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)