Feb 29, 2012, 10:12 AM EDT
You’d like to think that hitting an empty net would be an easy thing to do in hockey. There’s no goalie there to stop the puck and all you have to do is poke it home. Erik Condra of the Ottawa Senators, however, would like to show you how it’s not as easy as it sounds.
During the second period of Ottawa’s 1-0 win over Boston, Condra had the puck on his stick with Tim Thomas well out of position to stop a shot that would’ve made it 2-0 at the time. Instead, Thomas caught a break because Condra yacked on the shot. Check out the tape.
Of course, Condra’s miss didn’t cost his team the game thanks to Robin Lehner pitching a shutout which makes Condra way less famous than former Dallas Stars goat Patrik Stefan. Stefan had a truly empty net to ice the game and ended up going down in history as Ray Ferraro’s point of contention.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 19
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 39
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 75
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL