Feb 29, 2012, 10:12 AM EST
You’d like to think that hitting an empty net would be an easy thing to do in hockey. There’s no goalie there to stop the puck and all you have to do is poke it home. Erik Condra of the Ottawa Senators, however, would like to show you how it’s not as easy as it sounds.
During the second period of Ottawa’s 1-0 win over Boston, Condra had the puck on his stick with Tim Thomas well out of position to stop a shot that would’ve made it 2-0 at the time. Instead, Thomas caught a break because Condra yacked on the shot. Check out the tape.
Of course, Condra’s miss didn’t cost his team the game thanks to Robin Lehner pitching a shutout which makes Condra way less famous than former Dallas Stars goat Patrik Stefan. Stefan had a truly empty net to ice the game and ended up going down in history as Ray Ferraro’s point of contention.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 63
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 92
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (93)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)