Feb 29, 2012, 10:12 AM EDT
You’d like to think that hitting an empty net would be an easy thing to do in hockey. There’s no goalie there to stop the puck and all you have to do is poke it home. Erik Condra of the Ottawa Senators, however, would like to show you how it’s not as easy as it sounds.
During the second period of Ottawa’s 1-0 win over Boston, Condra had the puck on his stick with Tim Thomas well out of position to stop a shot that would’ve made it 2-0 at the time. Instead, Thomas caught a break because Condra yacked on the shot. Check out the tape.
Of course, Condra’s miss didn’t cost his team the game thanks to Robin Lehner pitching a shutout which makes Condra way less famous than former Dallas Stars goat Patrik Stefan. Stefan had a truly empty net to ice the game and ended up going down in history as Ray Ferraro’s point of contention.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)