Feb 29, 2012, 12:32 AM EDT
Maybe they don’t get the job done in the sexiest way possible, but make no mistake about it. The Phoenix Coyotes are the hottest team in the NHL right now.
Want proof? OK, here are some numbers that make the claim borderline inarguable.
- They just beat the league-leading Vancouver Canucks 2-1 via a shootout thanks in a large part to Ray Whitney‘s third period game-tying goal.
- Phoenix holds the NHL’s longest active winning streak (six games in a row).
- The Coyotes will end the night on top of the Pacific Division whether the San Jose Sharks hold on to win against the Philadelphia Flyers or not.
- Dave Tippett’s team was undoubtedly the best squad in February, going a stunning 11-0-1 (albeit with four shootout wins.)
- Mike Smith is barging his way into the Vezina Trophy argument, even if many will discount his work – quite reasonably – because of the system in front of him. Still, his 11-game winning streak leaves him at 29-14-7 with impressive individual numbers.
Yup, that’s an impressive run for a Coyotes team that looks bound to defy expectations (and some might say, logic and reason) for a third consecutive season.
Of course, the bigger question might be: can Phoenix finally translate its regular season work to playoff success? It’s tough to say, but let me provide the first bit of advice: avoid the Detroit Red Wings at all costs.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)