Feb 29, 2012, 1:49 PM EST
Yesterday wasn’t fun for Ron Wilson. The Leafs’ head coach had to watch his team lose its ninth in 10 games and drop even further out a playoff spot. And when the crowd at the ACC wasn’t busy giving the Bronx cheer to goalie James Reimer, it was chanting “Fire Wilson” as Toronto fell, 5-3, to Florida.
“It’s frustrating and understandable,” Wilson said when asked about the chant.
“Everyone is frustrated right now. We didn’t do anything at the trade deadline and we came out tentative to say the least. … we talked ad nauseam about the next 20 games (and the playoff push), and we came out like that. We didn’t help ourselves at all.”
But at least one newspaper columnist has Wilson’s back – the Toronto Star’s Cathal Kelly.
The mob is fickle, here and everywhere else. But there is nothing to be celebrated about the increasing certainty that another man is about to lose his job.
A job is a purpose. We all have a few really low points in life. If you’ve ever been terminated or made redundant or whatever the jargon is this week, that’s one of them.
… Those panting for the firing squad are saying more about themselves than about the team’s troubles. One gets the impression that in a different time and place, the same people chanting, “Fire Wilson,” would’ve been pulling harder for the lions than the Christians.
Maybe – but only if the Christians hadn’t made the playoffs in a long time.
Besides, Leafs general manager Brian Burke said back in December that “if the Toronto Maple Leafs fired Ron Wilson, he’d be working again in about two weeks.”
So no worries there.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 28
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)