Feb 29, 2012, 1:49 PM EDT
Yesterday wasn’t fun for Ron Wilson. The Leafs’ head coach had to watch his team lose its ninth in 10 games and drop even further out a playoff spot. And when the crowd at the ACC wasn’t busy giving the Bronx cheer to goalie James Reimer, it was chanting “Fire Wilson” as Toronto fell, 5-3, to Florida.
“It’s frustrating and understandable,” Wilson said when asked about the chant.
“Everyone is frustrated right now. We didn’t do anything at the trade deadline and we came out tentative to say the least. … we talked ad nauseam about the next 20 games (and the playoff push), and we came out like that. We didn’t help ourselves at all.”
But at least one newspaper columnist has Wilson’s back – the Toronto Star’s Cathal Kelly.
The mob is fickle, here and everywhere else. But there is nothing to be celebrated about the increasing certainty that another man is about to lose his job.
A job is a purpose. We all have a few really low points in life. If you’ve ever been terminated or made redundant or whatever the jargon is this week, that’s one of them.
… Those panting for the firing squad are saying more about themselves than about the team’s troubles. One gets the impression that in a different time and place, the same people chanting, “Fire Wilson,” would’ve been pulling harder for the lions than the Christians.
Maybe – but only if the Christians hadn’t made the playoffs in a long time.
Besides, Leafs general manager Brian Burke said back in December that “if the Toronto Maple Leafs fired Ron Wilson, he’d be working again in about two weeks.”
So no worries there.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 3
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)