Feb 28, 2012, 2:38 PM EDT
With 16 deals involving 32 players, the 2011-12 NHL trade deadline featured plenty of number switches. Here’s a quick rundown of who will be wearing what heading into Tuesday’s play.
In a weird twist, Zack Kassian has opted for No. 9 — the same number Cody Hodgson (the guy Kassian was traded for) wore this season. Marc-Andre Gragnani will wear No. 5 (his Buffalo number, 17, is worn by Ryan Kesler) while Samuel Pahlsson will wear No. 26, a number he’s had since 2001.
No word on what number Jamie McGinn will wear. He’s probably free to keep his No. 64, though — he’d become the first-ever Avalanche player to wear it if he does.
New York Rangers
John Scott will wear No. 28 after donning No. 36 with Minnesota and, most recently, No. 32 with the Blackhawks.
Brian Rolston turned back the clock and chose No. 12, the same number he wore with the Bruins from 2000-04. (Note: the last Boston player to wear No. 12 was Tomas Kaberle…maybe it’s not too late for Rolston to switch.) Mike Mottau is wearing No. 27 like he did in New Jersey, while Greg Zanon is No. 6.
Matt Gilroy will continue to wear No. 97, becoming the highest jersey number in Senators history. Prior to Gilroy, the honor went to Stan Neckar (94), Mika Zibanejad (93), Alexandre Daigle (91) and Mike Comrie (89).
The Oilers Twitter feed says Nick Schultz will wear No. 15, becoming the 31st Oiler to wear that number — a long, illustrious list that includes Alex Tidey, Miroslav Frycer, Tomas Srsen and Joe Hulbig. For some reason, No. 15 has been out of circulation since Joffrey Lupul wore it in 2007.
Tom Gilbert had no problems retaining his No. 77. No Wild player has worn it since Lubomir Sekeras from 2001-03.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 15
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 69
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 91
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)