Feb 28, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
Now that the trade deadline has passed and rosters are what they are, let’s take a look at Bodog’s odds to win the Stanley Cup and see what the bookies think about each team’s chances:
—- Interesting that Vancouver is getting shorter odds than Boston. You’d think the Bruins would be the favorites if the two teams met in a rematch, and most people believe it’ll be harder to come out of the West than the East. Of course, a book also has to consider its exposure, and perhaps Bodog’s clientele comprises more Canucks fans than B’s fans.
—- Nashville at 18/1 is tempting. Everyone knows the Predators are tough to play against, but not everyone’s noticed they can score now. The Preds rank 10th in goals per game (2.78) and boast the league’s No. 2 power play. Throw in the three trade-deadline acquisitions and they’re legitimate Cup contenders.
—- Of all the long shots, Washington and Los Angeles might be the only ones that can actually win it all. The wild card for the Capitals is Nicklas Backstrom, currently on long-term injured reserved with a concussion. If he’s not done for the season — and yes, he easily could be — the Caps arguably have the highest ceiling of all the teams with odds above 30/1.
If you had $100 that you absolutely had to bet, where would you put it?
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)