Feb 28, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
Now that the trade deadline has passed and rosters are what they are, let’s take a look at Bodog’s odds to win the Stanley Cup and see what the bookies think about each team’s chances:
—- Interesting that Vancouver is getting shorter odds than Boston. You’d think the Bruins would be the favorites if the two teams met in a rematch, and most people believe it’ll be harder to come out of the West than the East. Of course, a book also has to consider its exposure, and perhaps Bodog’s clientele comprises more Canucks fans than B’s fans.
—- Nashville at 18/1 is tempting. Everyone knows the Predators are tough to play against, but not everyone’s noticed they can score now. The Preds rank 10th in goals per game (2.78) and boast the league’s No. 2 power play. Throw in the three trade-deadline acquisitions and they’re legitimate Cup contenders.
—- Of all the long shots, Washington and Los Angeles might be the only ones that can actually win it all. The wild card for the Capitals is Nicklas Backstrom, currently on long-term injured reserved with a concussion. If he’s not done for the season — and yes, he easily could be — the Caps arguably have the highest ceiling of all the teams with odds above 30/1.
If you had $100 that you absolutely had to bet, where would you put it?
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)