Feb 28, 2012, 1:37 PM EDT
New Stars owner Tom Gaglardi took to the airwaves yesterday to talk about his team and the efforts the organization is making to regain its foothold in the Dallas market.
The fine folks at Defending Big D put together a transcript of Gaglardi’s conversation with Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket, and of all the things he said, this one stood out the most for me:
“This market is a huge, glorious market and the Stars have been a top-ten revenue team for most of their existence and to get back there, we have to get better on the ice. We have to get competitive but we don’t want to make mistakes along the way. We have a great farm system, we have five young kids turning pro next season, a few of them may make our team next year.
“We’ve got some really nice things happening now with the core group of guys that I referred to earlier we know in the next two or three years we’re going to be a heck of a team and we don’t want to mess that up. This isn’t a rebuild.”
What will be interesting to see is if Gaglardi is willing to open up his wallet when the time is right. It’s easy to preach patience when patience is the way to go, but it’s hard for a team to win the Stanley Cup when it’s flirting with the cap floor.
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 18
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 52
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)