Feb 28, 2012, 1:37 PM EDT
New Stars owner Tom Gaglardi took to the airwaves yesterday to talk about his team and the efforts the organization is making to regain its foothold in the Dallas market.
The fine folks at Defending Big D put together a transcript of Gaglardi’s conversation with Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket, and of all the things he said, this one stood out the most for me:
“This market is a huge, glorious market and the Stars have been a top-ten revenue team for most of their existence and to get back there, we have to get better on the ice. We have to get competitive but we don’t want to make mistakes along the way. We have a great farm system, we have five young kids turning pro next season, a few of them may make our team next year.
“We’ve got some really nice things happening now with the core group of guys that I referred to earlier we know in the next two or three years we’re going to be a heck of a team and we don’t want to mess that up. This isn’t a rebuild.”
What will be interesting to see is if Gaglardi is willing to open up his wallet when the time is right. It’s easy to preach patience when patience is the way to go, but it’s hard for a team to win the Stanley Cup when it’s flirting with the cap floor.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 72
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (72)