Feb 28, 2012, 1:37 PM EDT
New Stars owner Tom Gaglardi took to the airwaves yesterday to talk about his team and the efforts the organization is making to regain its foothold in the Dallas market.
The fine folks at Defending Big D put together a transcript of Gaglardi’s conversation with Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket, and of all the things he said, this one stood out the most for me:
“This market is a huge, glorious market and the Stars have been a top-ten revenue team for most of their existence and to get back there, we have to get better on the ice. We have to get competitive but we don’t want to make mistakes along the way. We have a great farm system, we have five young kids turning pro next season, a few of them may make our team next year.
“We’ve got some really nice things happening now with the core group of guys that I referred to earlier we know in the next two or three years we’re going to be a heck of a team and we don’t want to mess that up. This isn’t a rebuild.”
What will be interesting to see is if Gaglardi is willing to open up his wallet when the time is right. It’s easy to preach patience when patience is the way to go, but it’s hard for a team to win the Stanley Cup when it’s flirting with the cap floor.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 26
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)