Feb 28, 2012, 1:37 PM EDT
New Stars owner Tom Gaglardi took to the airwaves yesterday to talk about his team and the efforts the organization is making to regain its foothold in the Dallas market.
The fine folks at Defending Big D put together a transcript of Gaglardi’s conversation with Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket, and of all the things he said, this one stood out the most for me:
“This market is a huge, glorious market and the Stars have been a top-ten revenue team for most of their existence and to get back there, we have to get better on the ice. We have to get competitive but we don’t want to make mistakes along the way. We have a great farm system, we have five young kids turning pro next season, a few of them may make our team next year.
“We’ve got some really nice things happening now with the core group of guys that I referred to earlier we know in the next two or three years we’re going to be a heck of a team and we don’t want to mess that up. This isn’t a rebuild.”
What will be interesting to see is if Gaglardi is willing to open up his wallet when the time is right. It’s easy to preach patience when patience is the way to go, but it’s hard for a team to win the Stanley Cup when it’s flirting with the cap floor.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 8
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)