Feb 28, 2012, 1:37 PM EST
New Stars owner Tom Gaglardi took to the airwaves yesterday to talk about his team and the efforts the organization is making to regain its foothold in the Dallas market.
The fine folks at Defending Big D put together a transcript of Gaglardi’s conversation with Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket, and of all the things he said, this one stood out the most for me:
“This market is a huge, glorious market and the Stars have been a top-ten revenue team for most of their existence and to get back there, we have to get better on the ice. We have to get competitive but we don’t want to make mistakes along the way. We have a great farm system, we have five young kids turning pro next season, a few of them may make our team next year.
“We’ve got some really nice things happening now with the core group of guys that I referred to earlier we know in the next two or three years we’re going to be a heck of a team and we don’t want to mess that up. This isn’t a rebuild.”
What will be interesting to see is if Gaglardi is willing to open up his wallet when the time is right. It’s easy to preach patience when patience is the way to go, but it’s hard for a team to win the Stanley Cup when it’s flirting with the cap floor.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 15
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 40
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)