Feb 28, 2012, 4:42 PM EST
“I’m not going to lie, I’m not real happy about the way it all turned out,” Miller told the Buffalo News. “But that’s the business of hockey. Like I’ve said, we don’t make those decisions.
“That’s more proof because if I had any more influence Paul would still be here. I appreciate the way he plays. He’s been one of my best friends for a long time there.”
Miller and Gaustad broke in with the Sabres during the 2002-03 season — Miller appeared in 15 games, Gaustad one — and the pair have been teammates ever since. They’ve roomed together, traveled through Europe together and when Miller was bowled over by Milan Lucic earlier this season, it was Gaustad who said he was “embarrassed” by Buffalo’s lack of response…then fought Lucic the next time out.
In light of that, no real surprise Miller’s upset.
Slight surprise, though, that he voiced his displeasure so publicly.
“[Gaustad] does the things that are not easy to do every night,” he continued. “It’s just too important for a hockey team, and it is a little frustrating in that regard.
“Personally, he’s a close friend, and also I think he’s a big part of the team. No matter the way you view hockey, you have to understand how important players like Paul can be and how long it takes to develop a guy that plays that way at such a high level.
“Winning those faceoffs is not easy. Killing those penalties is not easy. Not a lot of guys are willing to do that job every night, and he was.”
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)