PHT Morning Skate: Trade deadline reaction edition

Feb 28, 2012, 8:12 AM EDT

St. Louis Blues v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.

John Scott was bumming out pretty hard about leaving Chicago. I think he’ll do just fine in New York City with the Rangers. (CSNChicago.com)

Jamie McGinn‘s tale of being told he was traded is pretty sad. (Working The Corners)

James van Riemsdyk was just happy to not be sent anywhere yesterday. (CSNPhilly.com)

Oh hey, look. Canadian writers are piling on about Winnipeg being better than Atlanta. Again. (Edmonton Sun)

Tanner Glass does have some perks living in Winnipeg, however. (Winnipeg Sun)

Scott Howson is going to eat a ton of blame for not getting Rick Nash sent out of town and then calling him out for asking for said trade. Nick Cotsonika says Howson did right to stick up for his team. (Yahoo!)

Pete DeBoer was pretty happy with the penalties David Clarkson took last night. Hope he can live with a possible suspension too. (The Star-Ledger)

Nicklas Lidstrom and Kyle Quincey are feeling banged up. Brendan Smith is on the way to prove he can stick around. (Detroit Free Press)

The Jets are calling last night’s loss to Edmonton the “worst of the year.” (Winnipeg Sun)

Al MacInnis is now “Forever A Flame” after being honored last night. (Sportsnet)

1. buffalomafia - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Wanted! A real owner in Buffalo that knows the sport of hockey!

Why would you trade your only tough guy for another small player?

Fire Regere instead of hiding behind him!

We the season ticket holders are sick & tired of mediocrity year after year!

Why didn’t the Sabres trade both Roy & Stafford two underacheiving players?

How about 6’7″ Myers who couldn’t scare a first grader?

What about those other two underacheiving bums Regere signed in the off season?

I feel sorry for the under sized Kaleta for taking a beating cause the bigger players are Mary’s!

• elvispocomo - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

“Why didn’t the Sabres trade both Roy & Stafford two underacheiving players?”

And Canucks fans are asking why we didn’t trade Raymond instead of Hodgson. Would you ahve wanted Raymond and a pick instead? Your answer to that is the same answer to why we wouldn’t want Roy and Stafford. Both teams have to want what they’re getting back.

Granted, I would have taken Myers in a heartbeat, but I digress.

2. hawknuts - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Nick Cotsonika is an idiot, howson should have started doing his job when he got it not years later when he knows he is going to be fired as soon as the season ends. Craig Patrick will be making this deal in the summer

3. murtdurt - Feb 28, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I don’t get it?? Hasn’t Winnipeg proved in less then a year it is better then anything Atlanta has done in its entire existence? Im not a jets fan whatsoever but its great for the NHL and those players to be playing in front of a jam packed building every night with fans who actually care!

4. gnrfan8804 - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM

hey, buffalomafia….im a season ticket holder and you don’t speak for me. while I agree that Ruff is all coached out, how can you, or anybody in buff, be upset about the trades? he held out until he got a 1st rd pick for gaustad. whose to say he wont resign him july 1st?? he traded an unproven ahl player for a potential superstar. you have tickets? what has everyone been searching for all year watching this team. how many players have centered Vanek and Pommer? give hodgson a chance. he’s a playmaking center who had 33 points playing only 12 minutes a game on vancouvers 3rd line with NON skilled wingers. how are u not excited to see what he may be able to do with more minutes possibly centering the top line? I agree that stafford and roy are garbage, my hatred for them are equal to that of connolly and afino-trash-ov. but I’ve excepted the fact that you can’t move those two if NO ONE wants them. were stuck with them. and look ahead, darcy has 2 first round picks this year

5. buffalomafia - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM

@gnrfan8804- seems like we pretty much agree except I believe we have to many small players!

Even the big guys we have are whimps!

I will admit I am a frustrated fan but I think Sabres need new leadership?

If I am wrong I will buy u a beer?

6. ikillchicken - Feb 28, 2012 at 3:43 PM

“Oh hey, look. Canadian writers are piling on about Winnipeg being better than Atlanta. Again. ”

Gee, you’d almost think there was a reason everyone keeps saying this.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches