Feb 28, 2012, 12:43 PM EDT
The loss is a big one for the Panthers. Versteeg is their go-to guy up front — leading the team in goals (22), points (49) and game-winning goals (five) — and they’re about to embark on a crucial stretch. With 70 points and sitting atop the Southeast Division, Florida’s:
– In Toronto on Tuesday to face the 10th-place Leafs (65 points).
– In Winnipeg on Thursday to face the eighth-place Jets (68 points).
– At home Saturday against Nashville.
– At home Sunday against seventh-place Ottawa (74 points).
The hope is Versteeg will return to the lineup for Sunday, though reports suggest the injury could keep him out next week as well. As for replacements: John Madden will draw in while Tomas Kopecky moves up to center the first line between Tomas Fleischmann and Wojtek Wolski.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)