Feb 28, 2012, 8:09 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks don’t have a lot of holes at the forward position, but “No. 2 center” has been a glaring one for some time. Unfortunately for them, “No. 1 center” might be an issue now, too.
CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers reports that Jonathan Toews isn’t skating and that he won’t play on Wednesday. Perhaps the worse bit came from head coach Joel Quenneville, however, as he said that the 2010 Selke winner has made “no progress” in his recovery from what might be a concussion.
Speaking of worrisome Chicago concussion situations, Niklas Hjalmarsson is skating but won’t play in the Blackhawks’ contest vs. the Toronto Maple Leafs either, according to Myers.
Chicago is in sixth place in its conference with 73 points, but that’s far from a huge margin of error since they have either the same or less games remaining than the West’s bubble teams. To some, GM Stan Bowman’s lack of movement might become a huge mistake in light of Toews’ issues, but the flip side might just be that he believes that the team isn’t as close to being a legitimate contender as many think.
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 52
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)