Feb 28, 2012, 8:09 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks don’t have a lot of holes at the forward position, but “No. 2 center” has been a glaring one for some time. Unfortunately for them, “No. 1 center” might be an issue now, too.
CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers reports that Jonathan Toews isn’t skating and that he won’t play on Wednesday. Perhaps the worse bit came from head coach Joel Quenneville, however, as he said that the 2010 Selke winner has made “no progress” in his recovery from what might be a concussion.
Speaking of worrisome Chicago concussion situations, Niklas Hjalmarsson is skating but won’t play in the Blackhawks’ contest vs. the Toronto Maple Leafs either, according to Myers.
Chicago is in sixth place in its conference with 73 points, but that’s far from a huge margin of error since they have either the same or less games remaining than the West’s bubble teams. To some, GM Stan Bowman’s lack of movement might become a huge mistake in light of Toews’ issues, but the flip side might just be that he believes that the team isn’t as close to being a legitimate contender as many think.
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 0
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)