Feb 28, 2012, 10:41 AM EST
Last night’s 2-0 Rangers win over the Devils was spiced up a bit thanks to New Jersey’s David Clarkson.
Late in the second period, Clarkson took a run at New York’s Brandon Dubinsky by charging him. Clarkson appeared to leave his feet and lead his hit with an elbow aimed at the head of Dubinsky. While he connected with the body, he missed with his elbow and the two threw the gloves off to fight. The thought was that Clarkson might see a suspension coming from the hit.
Not so much. Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice finds out that Clarkson won’t be suspended for the play. Gulitti says two factors played into the decision in that Clarkson didn’t make contact with Dubinsky’s head and there was no injury on the play.
You can check out how the whole scene unfolds at HockeyFights.
Seeing Clarkson leave his feet and leading with his elbow would seem to be the exact kind of hit the league and Brendan Shanahan wants to see eliminated from the game. The fact that contact to the head wasn’t made and Dubinsky wasn’t hurt shouldn’t play into Shanahan’s decision. The intent to do harm was there.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)