Feb 28, 2012, 10:41 AM EDT
Last night’s 2-0 Rangers win over the Devils was spiced up a bit thanks to New Jersey’s David Clarkson.
Late in the second period, Clarkson took a run at New York’s Brandon Dubinsky by charging him. Clarkson appeared to leave his feet and lead his hit with an elbow aimed at the head of Dubinsky. While he connected with the body, he missed with his elbow and the two threw the gloves off to fight. The thought was that Clarkson might see a suspension coming from the hit.
Not so much. Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice finds out that Clarkson won’t be suspended for the play. Gulitti says two factors played into the decision in that Clarkson didn’t make contact with Dubinsky’s head and there was no injury on the play.
You can check out how the whole scene unfolds at HockeyFights.
Seeing Clarkson leave his feet and leading with his elbow would seem to be the exact kind of hit the league and Brendan Shanahan wants to see eliminated from the game. The fact that contact to the head wasn’t made and Dubinsky wasn’t hurt shouldn’t play into Shanahan’s decision. The intent to do harm was there.
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 0
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 10
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 29
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 91
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 99
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games