Feb 28, 2012, 10:41 AM EST
Last night’s 2-0 Rangers win over the Devils was spiced up a bit thanks to New Jersey’s David Clarkson.
Late in the second period, Clarkson took a run at New York’s Brandon Dubinsky by charging him. Clarkson appeared to leave his feet and lead his hit with an elbow aimed at the head of Dubinsky. While he connected with the body, he missed with his elbow and the two threw the gloves off to fight. The thought was that Clarkson might see a suspension coming from the hit.
Not so much. Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice finds out that Clarkson won’t be suspended for the play. Gulitti says two factors played into the decision in that Clarkson didn’t make contact with Dubinsky’s head and there was no injury on the play.
You can check out how the whole scene unfolds at HockeyFights.
Seeing Clarkson leave his feet and leading with his elbow would seem to be the exact kind of hit the league and Brendan Shanahan wants to see eliminated from the game. The fact that contact to the head wasn’t made and Dubinsky wasn’t hurt shouldn’t play into Shanahan’s decision. The intent to do harm was there.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)