Feb 28, 2012, 11:25 AM EST
Hearing Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson discuss how captain Rick Nash came to him to request a trade had all the makings of a GM throwing his team’s captain under the bus.
But at Blue Jackets practice this morning, Nash came out of it smelling like a rose. The longest-tenured player on the BJs roster discussing the situation (reported by Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch, via Twitter.)
Nash said he hoped the team could facilitate a rebuild by trading him for the necessary players and picks needed to start from the ground up. As Nash told Portzline, he had the team’s best intentions in mind when coming to them asking for a trade.
“I felt I could be a huge part of the rebuilding by bringing them assets,” Nash said.
Either Nash is the nicest guy on Earth or he’s one super smooth-talking character. As for whether or not the fans will see things that way, he knows it might be dicey.
“I’m not sure what to expect. I’ve been with the fans my entire career here. I’ll love them no matter what.”
If nothing else, Nash is really good at defusing what had all the makings of a very uncomfortable situation. Question is, will the fans buy it?
Update: Here’s video of Nash meeting the press in Columbus today courtesy of the Blue Jackets.
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 1
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 6
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)