Feb 28, 2012, 11:25 AM EST
Hearing Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson discuss how captain Rick Nash came to him to request a trade had all the makings of a GM throwing his team’s captain under the bus.
But at Blue Jackets practice this morning, Nash came out of it smelling like a rose. The longest-tenured player on the BJs roster discussing the situation (reported by Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch, via Twitter.)
Nash said he hoped the team could facilitate a rebuild by trading him for the necessary players and picks needed to start from the ground up. As Nash told Portzline, he had the team’s best intentions in mind when coming to them asking for a trade.
“I felt I could be a huge part of the rebuilding by bringing them assets,” Nash said.
Either Nash is the nicest guy on Earth or he’s one super smooth-talking character. As for whether or not the fans will see things that way, he knows it might be dicey.
“I’m not sure what to expect. I’ve been with the fans my entire career here. I’ll love them no matter what.”
If nothing else, Nash is really good at defusing what had all the makings of a very uncomfortable situation. Question is, will the fans buy it?
Update: Here’s video of Nash meeting the press in Columbus today courtesy of the Blue Jackets.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 150
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (150)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)