Feb 28, 2012, 11:25 AM EDT
Hearing Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson discuss how captain Rick Nash came to him to request a trade had all the makings of a GM throwing his team’s captain under the bus.
But at Blue Jackets practice this morning, Nash came out of it smelling like a rose. The longest-tenured player on the BJs roster discussing the situation (reported by Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch, via Twitter.)
Nash said he hoped the team could facilitate a rebuild by trading him for the necessary players and picks needed to start from the ground up. As Nash told Portzline, he had the team’s best intentions in mind when coming to them asking for a trade.
“I felt I could be a huge part of the rebuilding by bringing them assets,” Nash said.
Either Nash is the nicest guy on Earth or he’s one super smooth-talking character. As for whether or not the fans will see things that way, he knows it might be dicey.
“I’m not sure what to expect. I’ve been with the fans my entire career here. I’ll love them no matter what.”
If nothing else, Nash is really good at defusing what had all the makings of a very uncomfortable situation. Question is, will the fans buy it?
Update: Here’s video of Nash meeting the press in Columbus today courtesy of the Blue Jackets.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 42
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)