Feb 28, 2012, 11:25 AM EDT
Hearing Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson discuss how captain Rick Nash came to him to request a trade had all the makings of a GM throwing his team’s captain under the bus.
But at Blue Jackets practice this morning, Nash came out of it smelling like a rose. The longest-tenured player on the BJs roster discussing the situation (reported by Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch, via Twitter.)
Nash said he hoped the team could facilitate a rebuild by trading him for the necessary players and picks needed to start from the ground up. As Nash told Portzline, he had the team’s best intentions in mind when coming to them asking for a trade.
“I felt I could be a huge part of the rebuilding by bringing them assets,” Nash said.
Either Nash is the nicest guy on Earth or he’s one super smooth-talking character. As for whether or not the fans will see things that way, he knows it might be dicey.
“I’m not sure what to expect. I’ve been with the fans my entire career here. I’ll love them no matter what.”
If nothing else, Nash is really good at defusing what had all the makings of a very uncomfortable situation. Question is, will the fans buy it?
Update: Here’s video of Nash meeting the press in Columbus today courtesy of the Blue Jackets.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 4
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 7
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)