Feb 28, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
There was a time when signing a hefty contract extension signaled that a player was borderline untouchable, but those days are gone. That’s especially true in Philadelphia, where the ink was barely dry on Jeff Carter‘s deal before GM Paul Holmgren sent him to Columbus.
With that in mind, one cannot blame James van Riemsdyk if he was sweating the various trade rumors that included his name. The 22-year-old power forward expressed relief to remain with the Flyers while discussing the deadline with CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio.
“Yeah, at the end of the day, I’m happy to still be a Flyer,” Van Riemsdyk said. “I love all the guys we have on the team. We have a great group of guys, not only on the ice, but off the ice, as well. I’m really excited about what we can do together.”
Even so, JVR acknowledged a mindset that if Wayne Gretzky could get traded, then so could he.
It didn’t help that he’s been a bit disappointing considering what seemed like a breakout playoff performance for the burgeoning winger. That’s the danger of trusting the results of a small sample in a contract year, but JVR is young enough that it’s far too early to call the contract an albatross.
Depending upon how you look at it, the Flyers either decided they couldn’t part with the young forward or didn’t find the right deal, but the bottom line is that he can put those rumors behind him.
For now, at least.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)