Feb 28, 2012, 5:42 PM EST
With no goals, one assist and a minus-six rating in his last five games, Calgary Flames captain Jarome Iginla know he needs to turn things around.
As for how he plans to turn things around?
Simple — quit thinking.
“I’ve got to not think about things too much,” Iginla told the Calgary Sun. “As soon as I start thinking, I stop moving my feet. You’ve seen me in some tough stretches, and I find it’s when I get a little hesitant, and everything starts looking slow.
“The last five games, unfortunately, haven’t been really good. That’s probably the rut I’ve been in, and I plan on getting out of it.”
As is often the case, the Flames go as their captain go — and over the last five games they’re 1-2-2, scoring just 10 goals while allowing 18. That’s put Calgary in 11th place in the Western Conference with 67 points, three back of eighth-place Dallas (three back of ninth-place Colorado as well.)
That said, Iginla isn’t the only Flame struggling at the moment. Olli Jokinen, Michael Cammalleri, Jay Bouwmeester and Mark Giordano have all struggled to produce, perhaps a byproduct of having to log heavy minutes for a team lacking depth and talent.
Not that head coach Brent Sutter is ready to start making excuses.
“We’ve put a lot on those guys’ shoulders the last two, two-and-a-half months because of the situation we got into with injuries, and there’s been nights when those guys had to play 24, 25, 26 minutes,” Sutter said. “They’re going through a little tough time, no different from the team, but we’ve got to get through it. We’ve got to stay together, hang tough together.
“You win as a team, lose as a team. What we’ve gone through is a team thing and we have to get through it.”
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 0
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 15
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 8
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)