Feb 28, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
If Cody Hodgson asked to be traded by the Vancouver Canucks, he must be a good actor.
“I was as shocked as anyone,” Hodgson told The Province yesterday after learning he’d been dealt to Buffalo for F Zack Kassian and D Marc-Andre Gragnani. “I didn’t see it coming. I really like the city and the fans and the guys are great. But I understand it’s a business and I’m moving on to a new opportunity.”
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis only added to the speculation that the 10th overall pick in 2008, or maybe his agent, had requested a move that would allow the talented 22-year-old center to play in a top-six role.
“That’s an internal thing I’m not going to comment about,” Gillis said.
He added: “Things that happen behind closed doors in our offices are not for public consumption. I’m not going to discuss it.”
Maybe Gillis didn’t mean to sound evasive, but that’s how he came off. Why wasn’t he willing to comment? Nobody would’ve blinked if he’d denied Hodgson had asked to be traded. Maybe a year ago there’d have been some blinking, but not during Hodgson’s breakout season, and not after a trade that made hockey sense. Kassian is a highly touted prospect that gives the Canucks size and toughness up front. Besides, who gets their trade request granted at the deadline when they play for a Cup contender? A player would have to be quite the distraction for that to happen.
Anyway, the trade is done – why it happened shouldn’t affect the Canucks on the ice. But sports is like a soap opera, and fans are always curious about what’s happening behind the scenes.
May 28, 2015, 10:02 PM EDT
Sharp says Blackhawks are ready for “whatever [the Ducks] throw at us.”
May 28, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Victor Hedman: “We’re prepared for this.”
May 28, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Retirement remains a possibility, and it might be his call.
May 28, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Even their first names are similar (Jordan and Jaden). Fun times ahead …
May 28, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, specifically.
May 28, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
“The fact that Mr. Peladeau is a separatist…we know very well whether it’s the owners of the team in Toronto or the owners of the Canadiens, they’re not separatists and they don’t want Quebec to separate.”
May 28, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
Says that “the expectation is to win right now.”
May 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Meanwhile, in the West, Corey Crawford has the edge in big-game experience over Frederik Andersen.
May 28, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Was set to become a UFA on July 1.
May 28, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
Bit of a theme developing here…
May 28, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pens to receive third-round pick in 2016 as compensation.
May 28, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
After scoring 80 points in 56 games for Youngstown.
May 28, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Rangers goalie knows he can’t rely on history to defeat the Lightning.
May 28, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
The former Penguins coach is still under contract to Pittsburgh.
May 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Former Preds forward, who played for Roy in junior, is currently with KHL club CSKA.
May 28, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
Has spent the past three seasons coaching the Flyers’ AHL affiliate.
May 28, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Spent part of last season with the Bruins
May 28, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Which they lost by a score of 6-2.
May 28, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
Which is next Wednesday.
May 28, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
The former led Canada to gold at the most recent World Junior tourney.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 35
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)