Feb 28, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
If Cody Hodgson asked to be traded by the Vancouver Canucks, he must be a good actor.
“I was as shocked as anyone,” Hodgson told The Province yesterday after learning he’d been dealt to Buffalo for F Zack Kassian and D Marc-Andre Gragnani. “I didn’t see it coming. I really like the city and the fans and the guys are great. But I understand it’s a business and I’m moving on to a new opportunity.”
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis only added to the speculation that the 10th overall pick in 2008, or maybe his agent, had requested a move that would allow the talented 22-year-old center to play in a top-six role.
“That’s an internal thing I’m not going to comment about,” Gillis said.
He added: “Things that happen behind closed doors in our offices are not for public consumption. I’m not going to discuss it.”
Maybe Gillis didn’t mean to sound evasive, but that’s how he came off. Why wasn’t he willing to comment? Nobody would’ve blinked if he’d denied Hodgson had asked to be traded. Maybe a year ago there’d have been some blinking, but not during Hodgson’s breakout season, and not after a trade that made hockey sense. Kassian is a highly touted prospect that gives the Canucks size and toughness up front. Besides, who gets their trade request granted at the deadline when they play for a Cup contender? A player would have to be quite the distraction for that to happen.
Anyway, the trade is done – why it happened shouldn’t affect the Canucks on the ice. But sports is like a soap opera, and fans are always curious about what’s happening behind the scenes.
Jul 25, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Vancouver took him with the sixth overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
He signed with the AHL Oklahoma City Barons.
Jul 25, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
That wasn’t the case when he began his career.
Jul 25, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
He’s a restricted free agent, but might end up returning to Switzerland.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
In a way, she played a role in him working for the Canucks.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
He lost the starting job to Jonathan Bernier last season.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
He was taken with the fourth overall pick.
Jul 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Two-time Stanley Cup winner played last season with KHL club HC Donbass.
Jul 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
“I wish I had a really good answer — where this came from and why, and how it came about — but I don’t, to be honest.”
Jul 25, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
“We’re hoping the change of scenery is going to do him good.”
Jul 25, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
But not before having played his first NHL game since 2009-10.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
“It’s a fairly simple one because Marc wants to be here,”
Jul 25, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT
The 32nd overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
He made his NHL debut with Washington last season.
Jul 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
In other words, they want him to be a shutdown center
Jul 24, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Eriksson’s looking to bounce back after suffering two concussions last season.
Jul 24, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
He’ll get a fresh start after struggling with Vancouver.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
He’s coming back after testing the free agent waters.
Jul 24, 2014, 6:57 PM EDT
It’s that time of the year.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)