Feb 28, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
If Cody Hodgson asked to be traded by the Vancouver Canucks, he must be a good actor.
“I was as shocked as anyone,” Hodgson told The Province yesterday after learning he’d been dealt to Buffalo for F Zack Kassian and D Marc-Andre Gragnani. “I didn’t see it coming. I really like the city and the fans and the guys are great. But I understand it’s a business and I’m moving on to a new opportunity.”
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis only added to the speculation that the 10th overall pick in 2008, or maybe his agent, had requested a move that would allow the talented 22-year-old center to play in a top-six role.
“That’s an internal thing I’m not going to comment about,” Gillis said.
He added: “Things that happen behind closed doors in our offices are not for public consumption. I’m not going to discuss it.”
Maybe Gillis didn’t mean to sound evasive, but that’s how he came off. Why wasn’t he willing to comment? Nobody would’ve blinked if he’d denied Hodgson had asked to be traded. Maybe a year ago there’d have been some blinking, but not during Hodgson’s breakout season, and not after a trade that made hockey sense. Kassian is a highly touted prospect that gives the Canucks size and toughness up front. Besides, who gets their trade request granted at the deadline when they play for a Cup contender? A player would have to be quite the distraction for that to happen.
Anyway, the trade is done – why it happened shouldn’t affect the Canucks on the ice. But sports is like a soap opera, and fans are always curious about what’s happening behind the scenes.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
There’s a $500 million expansion fee to consider.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
This will be a key season for him.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Because once Voracek’s eight-year contract kicks in, they’ll be part of that list.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:27 PM EDT
Former NHL stars are among the list of likely candidates.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Has Buffalo set itself up for an era of long playoff runs?
Jul 30, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
The deal is reportedly worth $5.6 million.
Jul 30, 2015, 7:11 PM EDT
At one point he was listed as the top European skater in the 2015 draft.
Jul 30, 2015, 5:52 PM EDT
The Flyers also have forwards Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier locked up.
Jul 30, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
The 37-year-old still wants to continue his career.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Along with Yao Ming.
Jul 30, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
“Nobody benefits from a short-term deal like this, in particular, our hockey department.”
Jul 30, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Vancouver wasting little time locking up the target of Tuesday’s trade.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
Boston could use some depth on its back end.
Jul 30, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Hearing is scheduled for Friday at 9 a.m. ET.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Alleged incident involved a female victim.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
As opposed to just his skill.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The former general manager “wasn’t prepared to make the changes that needed to be made.”
Jul 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
He played in 502 games, primarily with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 15
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 57
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 25
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (57)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)