Corvo backs off Turris revenge comments, claims he suffered “foot in mouth” disease

Feb 28, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT

joe corvo 2

What a difference a day makes.

Roughly 24 hours after announcing plans to exact revenge on Ottawa’s Kyle Turris, Boston defenseman Joe Corvo backed off his statements, saying he temporarily suffered from “foot in mouth” disease while calling his actions “selfish.”

While it wasn’t a full-fledged apology, it was pretty close — and not at all surprising given how candid Corvo was about wanting to fight Turris after the 22-year-old slammed Corvo into the boards during Boston’s 5-3 win over Ottawa on Saturday.

I think if you look back at the game before [in Boston Jan. 31], I hit him clean in center ice,” Corvo said. “I made it a point not to get my elbow up in his face. But apparently he didn’t give me the same courtesy.

“So, let’s just say I’ll be looking for him right off the bat.”

If ‘looking for him right off the bat’ wasn’t specific enough, Corvo took the time to clarify his position.

“Hopefully he’s a man and he’s going to step up tomorrow when I come after him,” he said. “I’m not going to try and hurt him, I’m going to try to fight him.”

Corvo’s backtracking could be tied to the fact Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli acquired two veteran defensmen yesterday — Mike Mottau and Greg Zanon — guys that could cut into Corvo’s playing time. The 34-year-old rearguard is second among all Bruins defensemen in scoring (22PTS) but only averages around 18:30 a night.

1. drewsylvania - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM

The team probably told him to keep his mouth shut. Regardless, someone on the Bruins has taken Turris’ number. Whether it happens Tuesday or not, it will happen.

• xxshookonexx - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM

true story. Chris Neil manned up and his hit was clean.

• bigtganks - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Tim Thomas told Corvo to stop being selfish with his comments and that he was being a distraction.

2. danphipps01 - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Man, I don’t like that he had to apologize. He was the subject of a bad hit and said he would respond to it. He even stressed that it was going to be an honest, proper fight. It’s as respectful a way of responding as you could really ask for when asking him how he feels about the hit. It’s a fair statement, and not one he should have to retract.

• govtminion - Feb 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Hell, twenty, thirty years ago, if Corvo HADN’T said anything he’d have been blasted for being a pansy. Different times, I guess.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches