Feb 28, 2012, 11:50 AM EST
What a difference a day makes.
Roughly 24 hours after announcing plans to exact revenge on Ottawa’s Kyle Turris, Boston defenseman Joe Corvo backed off his statements, saying he temporarily suffered from “foot in mouth” disease while calling his actions “selfish.”
While it wasn’t a full-fledged apology, it was pretty close — and not at all surprising given how candid Corvo was about wanting to fight Turris after the 22-year-old slammed Corvo into the boards during Boston’s 5-3 win over Ottawa on Saturday.
I think if you look back at the game before [in Boston Jan. 31], I hit him clean in center ice,” Corvo said. “I made it a point not to get my elbow up in his face. But apparently he didn’t give me the same courtesy.
“So, let’s just say I’ll be looking for him right off the bat.”
If ‘looking for him right off the bat’ wasn’t specific enough, Corvo took the time to clarify his position.
“Hopefully he’s a man and he’s going to step up tomorrow when I come after him,” he said. “I’m not going to try and hurt him, I’m going to try to fight him.”
Corvo’s backtracking could be tied to the fact Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli acquired two veteran defensmen yesterday — Mike Mottau and Greg Zanon — guys that could cut into Corvo’s playing time. The 34-year-old rearguard is second among all Bruins defensemen in scoring (22PTS) but only averages around 18:30 a night.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)