Feb 28, 2012, 11:50 AM EST
What a difference a day makes.
Roughly 24 hours after announcing plans to exact revenge on Ottawa’s Kyle Turris, Boston defenseman Joe Corvo backed off his statements, saying he temporarily suffered from “foot in mouth” disease while calling his actions “selfish.”
While it wasn’t a full-fledged apology, it was pretty close — and not at all surprising given how candid Corvo was about wanting to fight Turris after the 22-year-old slammed Corvo into the boards during Boston’s 5-3 win over Ottawa on Saturday.
I think if you look back at the game before [in Boston Jan. 31], I hit him clean in center ice,” Corvo said. “I made it a point not to get my elbow up in his face. But apparently he didn’t give me the same courtesy.
“So, let’s just say I’ll be looking for him right off the bat.”
If ‘looking for him right off the bat’ wasn’t specific enough, Corvo took the time to clarify his position.
“Hopefully he’s a man and he’s going to step up tomorrow when I come after him,” he said. “I’m not going to try and hurt him, I’m going to try to fight him.”
Corvo’s backtracking could be tied to the fact Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli acquired two veteran defensmen yesterday — Mike Mottau and Greg Zanon — guys that could cut into Corvo’s playing time. The 34-year-old rearguard is second among all Bruins defensemen in scoring (22PTS) but only averages around 18:30 a night.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 4
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)