Feb 28, 2012, 11:50 AM EST
What a difference a day makes.
Roughly 24 hours after announcing plans to exact revenge on Ottawa’s Kyle Turris, Boston defenseman Joe Corvo backed off his statements, saying he temporarily suffered from “foot in mouth” disease while calling his actions “selfish.”
While it wasn’t a full-fledged apology, it was pretty close — and not at all surprising given how candid Corvo was about wanting to fight Turris after the 22-year-old slammed Corvo into the boards during Boston’s 5-3 win over Ottawa on Saturday.
I think if you look back at the game before [in Boston Jan. 31], I hit him clean in center ice,” Corvo said. “I made it a point not to get my elbow up in his face. But apparently he didn’t give me the same courtesy.
“So, let’s just say I’ll be looking for him right off the bat.”
If ‘looking for him right off the bat’ wasn’t specific enough, Corvo took the time to clarify his position.
“Hopefully he’s a man and he’s going to step up tomorrow when I come after him,” he said. “I’m not going to try and hurt him, I’m going to try to fight him.”
Corvo’s backtracking could be tied to the fact Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli acquired two veteran defensmen yesterday — Mike Mottau and Greg Zanon — guys that could cut into Corvo’s playing time. The 34-year-old rearguard is second among all Bruins defensemen in scoring (22PTS) but only averages around 18:30 a night.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)