Feb 28, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
What a difference a day makes.
Roughly 24 hours after announcing plans to exact revenge on Ottawa’s Kyle Turris, Boston defenseman Joe Corvo backed off his statements, saying he temporarily suffered from “foot in mouth” disease while calling his actions “selfish.”
While it wasn’t a full-fledged apology, it was pretty close — and not at all surprising given how candid Corvo was about wanting to fight Turris after the 22-year-old slammed Corvo into the boards during Boston’s 5-3 win over Ottawa on Saturday.
I think if you look back at the game before [in Boston Jan. 31], I hit him clean in center ice,” Corvo said. “I made it a point not to get my elbow up in his face. But apparently he didn’t give me the same courtesy.
“So, let’s just say I’ll be looking for him right off the bat.”
If ‘looking for him right off the bat’ wasn’t specific enough, Corvo took the time to clarify his position.
“Hopefully he’s a man and he’s going to step up tomorrow when I come after him,” he said. “I’m not going to try and hurt him, I’m going to try to fight him.”
Corvo’s backtracking could be tied to the fact Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli acquired two veteran defensmen yesterday — Mike Mottau and Greg Zanon — guys that could cut into Corvo’s playing time. The 34-year-old rearguard is second among all Bruins defensemen in scoring (22PTS) but only averages around 18:30 a night.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)