Feb 28, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
What a difference a day makes.
Roughly 24 hours after announcing plans to exact revenge on Ottawa’s Kyle Turris, Boston defenseman Joe Corvo backed off his statements, saying he temporarily suffered from “foot in mouth” disease while calling his actions “selfish.”
While it wasn’t a full-fledged apology, it was pretty close — and not at all surprising given how candid Corvo was about wanting to fight Turris after the 22-year-old slammed Corvo into the boards during Boston’s 5-3 win over Ottawa on Saturday.
I think if you look back at the game before [in Boston Jan. 31], I hit him clean in center ice,” Corvo said. “I made it a point not to get my elbow up in his face. But apparently he didn’t give me the same courtesy.
“So, let’s just say I’ll be looking for him right off the bat.”
If ‘looking for him right off the bat’ wasn’t specific enough, Corvo took the time to clarify his position.
“Hopefully he’s a man and he’s going to step up tomorrow when I come after him,” he said. “I’m not going to try and hurt him, I’m going to try to fight him.”
Corvo’s backtracking could be tied to the fact Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli acquired two veteran defensmen yesterday — Mike Mottau and Greg Zanon — guys that could cut into Corvo’s playing time. The 34-year-old rearguard is second among all Bruins defensemen in scoring (22PTS) but only averages around 18:30 a night.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)