Feb 28, 2012, 9:36 AM EST
Yesterday’s trade deadline may have left some Leafs fans (and media) upset that GM Brian Burke didn’t swing any deals to help the Leafs make the playoffs, but if it was up to him he’d do things differently.
No, he wouldn’t force teams to give in to his demands, he’d actually make sure the deadline came and went at a different time. Mike Morreale of NHL.com hears it from Burke in the wake of what was an unexciting trade deadline for fans but a stressful one for GMs and a craze that Burke would like to avoid.
“I’m debating starting our own trade freeze 10 days before the deadline, much like I do prior to Christmas … that’s how distracting it is,” Burke said.
Oh, it gets better.
“I don’t know if that’s the right answer because I don’t want to tie my hands here, but it reminds me of the ’24/7′ (HBO) series. It’s ’24/7′ here now; I don’t know how the players can ignore it, but it’s part of playing on a Canadian team, so this is the hardest market to play in from that perspective.”
No one remind Burke that he’ll actually be on 24/7 next season leading up to the Winter Classic. The madness that ensues on deadline day is why a lot of GMs will do their dealing ahead of it to avoid the crush and pressure of it all.
Then again, the best way to avoid deadline day madness is to be in a better spot in the standings and not need to tweak the roster.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 9
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 14
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)