Feb 27, 2012, 3:11 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins have added two veteran presences to the fold, acquiring Brian Rolston and Mike Mottau from the New York Islanders at the deadline. In exchange, Boston will sent minor-leaguers Yannik Riendeau (AHL Providence) and Marc Cantin (ECHL Reading) to New York.
Rolston will be headed back to Boston for his second tour of duty. He played four-and-a-half seasons as a Bruin prior to the lockout, scoring a league-high nine shorthanded goals in 2001-02. The 38-year-old veteran appeared in 49 games for the Islanders this season, registering 4G-5A-9PTS while averaging 14:10 of ice time per game.
Mottau, 33, has played in 29 games for the Islanders after missing nearly half the season with a concussion. Mottau only recently returned to the lineup after being knocked out of action on Dec. 29, missing 26 games all told.
In addition to veteran experience, the Bruins added quite a bit of salary with these two moves. Rolston’s in the final year of a deal that pays $5.06 million annually (amusingly, he’s now actually Boston’s highest-paid forward) while Mottau comes relatively cheaply at $800,000.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)