Feb 27, 2012, 3:11 PM EST
The Boston Bruins have added two veteran presences to the fold, acquiring Brian Rolston and Mike Mottau from the New York Islanders at the deadline. In exchange, Boston will sent minor-leaguers Yannik Riendeau (AHL Providence) and Marc Cantin (ECHL Reading) to New York.
Rolston will be headed back to Boston for his second tour of duty. He played four-and-a-half seasons as a Bruin prior to the lockout, scoring a league-high nine shorthanded goals in 2001-02. The 38-year-old veteran appeared in 49 games for the Islanders this season, registering 4G-5A-9PTS while averaging 14:10 of ice time per game.
Mottau, 33, has played in 29 games for the Islanders after missing nearly half the season with a concussion. Mottau only recently returned to the lineup after being knocked out of action on Dec. 29, missing 26 games all told.
In addition to veteran experience, the Bruins added quite a bit of salary with these two moves. Rolston’s in the final year of a deal that pays $5.06 million annually (amusingly, he’s now actually Boston’s highest-paid forward) while Mottau comes relatively cheaply at $800,000.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 7
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 19
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 29
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (151)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)