Feb 27, 2012, 3:11 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins have added two veteran presences to the fold, acquiring Brian Rolston and Mike Mottau from the New York Islanders at the deadline. In exchange, Boston will sent minor-leaguers Yannik Riendeau (AHL Providence) and Marc Cantin (ECHL Reading) to New York.
Rolston will be headed back to Boston for his second tour of duty. He played four-and-a-half seasons as a Bruin prior to the lockout, scoring a league-high nine shorthanded goals in 2001-02. The 38-year-old veteran appeared in 49 games for the Islanders this season, registering 4G-5A-9PTS while averaging 14:10 of ice time per game.
Mottau, 33, has played in 29 games for the Islanders after missing nearly half the season with a concussion. Mottau only recently returned to the lineup after being knocked out of action on Dec. 29, missing 26 games all told.
In addition to veteran experience, the Bruins added quite a bit of salary with these two moves. Rolston’s in the final year of a deal that pays $5.06 million annually (amusingly, he’s now actually Boston’s highest-paid forward) while Mottau comes relatively cheaply at $800,000.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)