Feb 27, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT
It sounds like Philadelphia is done with its trade deadline shopping.
Two sources — one league, one within the organization — told Panaccio that all is quiet on the Flyer front.
“You don’t hear their name mentioned anywhere right now,” said a league source.
“There might be something minor, but I can’t see us doing anything. We don’t even have the cap space,” confirmed a staff member.
According to Capgeek, Philadelphia has the least amount of available cap space of all 30 NHL teams going into the 3pm ET deadline — roughly $1 million. That, combined with the steadily-increasing asking prices in a seller’s market, has all but rendered the Flyers as spectators.
That said…there is the small matter of Philadelphia’s goaltending, in that it has been awful this season. While there isn’t a ton of compelling netminders available, there are some intriguing names (Evgeni Nabokov, Nikolai Khabibulin, Josh Harding, Scott Clemmensen).
But again, the issue might be asking price — on Sunday, Ottawa acquired St. Louis netminder Ben Bishop for a 2nd-round pick in 2013…and Bishop has exactly 13 games of NHL experience.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)