Feb 27, 2012, 10:16 AM EST
It sounds like Philadelphia is done with its trade deadline shopping.
Two sources — one league, one within the organization — told Panaccio that all is quiet on the Flyer front.
“You don’t hear their name mentioned anywhere right now,” said a league source.
“There might be something minor, but I can’t see us doing anything. We don’t even have the cap space,” confirmed a staff member.
According to Capgeek, Philadelphia has the least amount of available cap space of all 30 NHL teams going into the 3pm ET deadline — roughly $1 million. That, combined with the steadily-increasing asking prices in a seller’s market, has all but rendered the Flyers as spectators.
That said…there is the small matter of Philadelphia’s goaltending, in that it has been awful this season. While there isn’t a ton of compelling netminders available, there are some intriguing names (Evgeni Nabokov, Nikolai Khabibulin, Josh Harding, Scott Clemmensen).
But again, the issue might be asking price — on Sunday, Ottawa acquired St. Louis netminder Ben Bishop for a 2nd-round pick in 2013…and Bishop has exactly 13 games of NHL experience.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 0
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)