Feb 27, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT
It sounds like Philadelphia is done with its trade deadline shopping.
Two sources — one league, one within the organization — told Panaccio that all is quiet on the Flyer front.
“You don’t hear their name mentioned anywhere right now,” said a league source.
“There might be something minor, but I can’t see us doing anything. We don’t even have the cap space,” confirmed a staff member.
According to Capgeek, Philadelphia has the least amount of available cap space of all 30 NHL teams going into the 3pm ET deadline — roughly $1 million. That, combined with the steadily-increasing asking prices in a seller’s market, has all but rendered the Flyers as spectators.
That said…there is the small matter of Philadelphia’s goaltending, in that it has been awful this season. While there isn’t a ton of compelling netminders available, there are some intriguing names (Evgeni Nabokov, Nikolai Khabibulin, Josh Harding, Scott Clemmensen).
But again, the issue might be asking price — on Sunday, Ottawa acquired St. Louis netminder Ben Bishop for a 2nd-round pick in 2013…and Bishop has exactly 13 games of NHL experience.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)