Feb 27, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT
It sounds like Philadelphia is done with its trade deadline shopping.
Two sources — one league, one within the organization — told Panaccio that all is quiet on the Flyer front.
“You don’t hear their name mentioned anywhere right now,” said a league source.
“There might be something minor, but I can’t see us doing anything. We don’t even have the cap space,” confirmed a staff member.
According to Capgeek, Philadelphia has the least amount of available cap space of all 30 NHL teams going into the 3pm ET deadline — roughly $1 million. That, combined with the steadily-increasing asking prices in a seller’s market, has all but rendered the Flyers as spectators.
That said…there is the small matter of Philadelphia’s goaltending, in that it has been awful this season. While there isn’t a ton of compelling netminders available, there are some intriguing names (Evgeni Nabokov, Nikolai Khabibulin, Josh Harding, Scott Clemmensen).
But again, the issue might be asking price — on Sunday, Ottawa acquired St. Louis netminder Ben Bishop for a 2nd-round pick in 2013…and Bishop has exactly 13 games of NHL experience.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 13
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 8
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 7
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 31
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)