Feb 27, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT
It sounds like Philadelphia is done with its trade deadline shopping.
Two sources — one league, one within the organization — told Panaccio that all is quiet on the Flyer front.
“You don’t hear their name mentioned anywhere right now,” said a league source.
“There might be something minor, but I can’t see us doing anything. We don’t even have the cap space,” confirmed a staff member.
According to Capgeek, Philadelphia has the least amount of available cap space of all 30 NHL teams going into the 3pm ET deadline — roughly $1 million. That, combined with the steadily-increasing asking prices in a seller’s market, has all but rendered the Flyers as spectators.
That said…there is the small matter of Philadelphia’s goaltending, in that it has been awful this season. While there isn’t a ton of compelling netminders available, there are some intriguing names (Evgeni Nabokov, Nikolai Khabibulin, Josh Harding, Scott Clemmensen).
But again, the issue might be asking price — on Sunday, Ottawa acquired St. Louis netminder Ben Bishop for a 2nd-round pick in 2013…and Bishop has exactly 13 games of NHL experience.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)