Feb 27, 2012, 1:39 PM EST
Allen, 31, is a pending UFA on a team with practically no shot at the playoffs, so clearly GM Jim Rutherford believes there’s a good chance he’ll be able to re-sign the big 31-year-old.
Given the many teams in search of a depth blueliner for the playoffs, the news that Allen is off the market will only serve to bid up the price on players of his ilk. At this rate, the Jets might demand a top-six forward, a blue-chip prospect, a first-round pick, and a Maserati for Johnny Oduya.
- Ovechkin becomes fifth player to start career with 10 straight 30+ goal seasons 0
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 0
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 21
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 16
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 14
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 10
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61