Feb 27, 2012, 11:36 PM EST
Sure, there are games (and even teams) that often remind us of darker, duller times known as the “Dead Puck Era,” but the NHL is obviously in a better place now.
Still, there are some games that come along and practically beat us over the head with those not-so-pleasant memories. The New York Rangers drowned the New Jersey Devils 2-0 tonight in a contest that was “uneventful” enough that Henrik Lundqvist spent most of his post-game interview discussing how “odd” it was:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Well, that’s a little unsettling. Still, it wasn’t all doom and trap-happy gloom. Check out the highlights of that game for another look at Lundqvist’s bedeviling save on Ilya Kovalchuk:
With this win, the Rangers are now nine points ahead of the Boston Bruins and the Pittsburgh Penguins for first overall in the East while they’re easily in the Presidents Trophy race since they trail the Vancouver Canucks by a point but hold two games in hand.
Meanwhile, the Devils are tied with the Ottawa Senators with 74 points, although the Devils hold the sixth spot since they’ve played in two fewer games and have more wins.
Both teams look like contenders, but hopefully future meetings will be a bit more, um, inspiring.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 15
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)