Feb 27, 2012, 11:36 PM EDT
Sure, there are games (and even teams) that often remind us of darker, duller times known as the “Dead Puck Era,” but the NHL is obviously in a better place now.
Still, there are some games that come along and practically beat us over the head with those not-so-pleasant memories. The New York Rangers drowned the New Jersey Devils 2-0 tonight in a contest that was “uneventful” enough that Henrik Lundqvist spent most of his post-game interview discussing how “odd” it was:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Well, that’s a little unsettling. Still, it wasn’t all doom and trap-happy gloom. Check out the highlights of that game for another look at Lundqvist’s bedeviling save on Ilya Kovalchuk:
With this win, the Rangers are now nine points ahead of the Boston Bruins and the Pittsburgh Penguins for first overall in the East while they’re easily in the Presidents Trophy race since they trail the Vancouver Canucks by a point but hold two games in hand.
Meanwhile, the Devils are tied with the Ottawa Senators with 74 points, although the Devils hold the sixth spot since they’ve played in two fewer games and have more wins.
Both teams look like contenders, but hopefully future meetings will be a bit more, um, inspiring.
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 5
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 19
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)