Feb 27, 2012, 11:55 AM EST
There are five games on tonight’s NHL schedule, all of them involving teams that could be highly involved in today’s trade dealings.
The Rangers, believed to be the lead contenders to land Rick Nash, host New Jersey at Madison Square Garden. So what if Brandon Dubinsky gets traded? Pretty sure Nash won’t make it to New York in time to replace him.
Nashville, reportedly still looking to add players after acquiring Andrei Kostitsyn, host Los Angeles, another team that could be active today.
Edmonton, Anaheim, Winnipeg, Colorado and Calgary are all playing, and each of them could be without roster players after the 3 p.m. deadline expires.
Not to mention, today is a massively stressful and distracting day for players.
Kings coach Darryl Sutter weighed in on the issue last week, as per LA Kings Insider.
“It’s hard to believe that, on the trade-deadline day, you’ve got to play games,” he said.
“It’s really unfair to players, coaches. It’s really not fair to anybody. Sometimes there’s nothing better, but usually there’s nothing worse than being traded. … There’s a grace period, where your roster opens up and you have extra players and all that stuff, so how do you do it on that day, when you’re playing? You could have a 40-man roster, but you can’t have what you want.”
Anyway, just something to chew on as we wait for things to get a little busier.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)