Feb 27, 2012, 11:55 AM EST
There are five games on tonight’s NHL schedule, all of them involving teams that could be highly involved in today’s trade dealings.
The Rangers, believed to be the lead contenders to land Rick Nash, host New Jersey at Madison Square Garden. So what if Brandon Dubinsky gets traded? Pretty sure Nash won’t make it to New York in time to replace him.
Nashville, reportedly still looking to add players after acquiring Andrei Kostitsyn, host Los Angeles, another team that could be active today.
Edmonton, Anaheim, Winnipeg, Colorado and Calgary are all playing, and each of them could be without roster players after the 3 p.m. deadline expires.
Not to mention, today is a massively stressful and distracting day for players.
Kings coach Darryl Sutter weighed in on the issue last week, as per LA Kings Insider.
“It’s hard to believe that, on the trade-deadline day, you’ve got to play games,” he said.
“It’s really unfair to players, coaches. It’s really not fair to anybody. Sometimes there’s nothing better, but usually there’s nothing worse than being traded. … There’s a grace period, where your roster opens up and you have extra players and all that stuff, so how do you do it on that day, when you’re playing? You could have a 40-man roster, but you can’t have what you want.”
Anyway, just something to chew on as we wait for things to get a little busier.
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 20
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 44
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 40
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 11
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 41
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 24
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)