Feb 27, 2012, 3:02 PM EDT
Good news out of Sacramento for hockey fans in Quebec City. Which sounds weird, but makes sense.
The Sacramento Bee is reporting that the city and the Kings (NBA) have “reached the framework of a deal” to build a new arena that would keep the team in town.
So, what does this have to do with the NHL?
Well, the Kings were the top relocation target for an investor hoping to build an arena and bring a basketball team to Seattle. And if Seattle can’t snag an NBA team, the new arena won’t be built that could potentially house an NHL team.
Seattle could still wrangle the Hornets out of New Orleans (or another team), but the Kings appear to be off the list.
The NHL team that’s been linked to Seattle is the league-owned Phoenix Coyotes, who are still without a new owner despite reports that a deal with Greg Jamison is close. If the Coyotes are forced to move and Seattle is out of the picture, Quebec City is likely the favorite to get them.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 0
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 0
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 3
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 24
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 74
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 8
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 22
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronkowski 'probably' needs back surgery, too
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness