Feb 27, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
After setting a Senators franchise record for points by a defenseman and moving into seventh overall in league scoring, Ottawa blueliner Erik Karlsson was named the NHL’s first star of the week.
Karlsson, 21, played four games last week and recorded multi-point efforts in each. He had 2G-2A (and the game-winning goal) against the Islanders, 1G-2A against both the Caps and Bruins and two assists against the Isles again on Sunday — the Isles game was also when Karlsson broke Norm Maciver’s single-season franchise record for points by a defenseman.
(Note 1: In 1992-93, Maciver had 63 points in 80 games. Karlsson has 65 in 63.)
(Note 2: 65 points, Karlsson is 23 clear of the NHL’s second-leading defenseman scorer, Brian Campbell.)
Second star went to Tampa Bay RW Teddy Purcell. The 26-year-old is riding a six-game point streak and has points in 10 of his last 11, including three three-point outings last week. Purcell had 1G-2A against the Ducks and Jets, then set up three goals in Sunday’s 4-3 win over New Jersey. Purcell how has 17G-29A-46PTS in 61 games this year and is on pace to beat last year’s 51-point total, which was a career high.
Third star went to Dallas goalie Kari Lehtonen. He won all three of his starts last week to vault Dallas into eight in the Western Conference — first with a 31-save shutout against Montreal, then by stopping 28 of 29 shots to beat the Wild. His biggest effort, though, came in an overtime victory against the NHL-leading Canucks, where he made 24 saves.
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 5
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 18
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)