Feb 27, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
There’s a bit of attention on the Islanders today as they work to get an extension done with Evgeni Nabokov, but another player in need of a new contract at the end of the season is now up for grabs.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the Islanders are now taking trade offers for forward P.A. Parenteau. Parenteau is set to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and he’s put up monster numbers this year playing on a line with John Tavares.
With 56 points, 42 via assist, Parenteau has made a nice name for himself as a complementary player. Parenteau has made it a point to say that he doesn’t want to negotiate a new deal during the season thanks to the distractions that offers. That is something that gives the Islanders and GM Garth Snow a reason to pause as his numbers mean that he could garner interest on the open market this summer.
Parenteau wants to stay with the Islanders, but the Isles are clearly trying to protect their own interests. Chris Botta of the New York Times says the Islanders want a first-round pick and a player for Parenteau. Good luck there, Garth.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)