Feb 27, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
There’s a bit of attention on the Islanders today as they work to get an extension done with Evgeni Nabokov, but another player in need of a new contract at the end of the season is now up for grabs.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the Islanders are now taking trade offers for forward P.A. Parenteau. Parenteau is set to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and he’s put up monster numbers this year playing on a line with John Tavares.
With 56 points, 42 via assist, Parenteau has made a nice name for himself as a complementary player. Parenteau has made it a point to say that he doesn’t want to negotiate a new deal during the season thanks to the distractions that offers. That is something that gives the Islanders and GM Garth Snow a reason to pause as his numbers mean that he could garner interest on the open market this summer.
Parenteau wants to stay with the Islanders, but the Isles are clearly trying to protect their own interests. Chris Botta of the New York Times says the Islanders want a first-round pick and a player for Parenteau. Good luck there, Garth.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 6
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)