Feb 27, 2012, 9:58 AM EST
There’s a bit of attention on the Islanders today as they work to get an extension done with Evgeni Nabokov, but another player in need of a new contract at the end of the season is now up for grabs.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the Islanders are now taking trade offers for forward P.A. Parenteau. Parenteau is set to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and he’s put up monster numbers this year playing on a line with John Tavares.
With 56 points, 42 via assist, Parenteau has made a nice name for himself as a complementary player. Parenteau has made it a point to say that he doesn’t want to negotiate a new deal during the season thanks to the distractions that offers. That is something that gives the Islanders and GM Garth Snow a reason to pause as his numbers mean that he could garner interest on the open market this summer.
Parenteau wants to stay with the Islanders, but the Isles are clearly trying to protect their own interests. Chris Botta of the New York Times says the Islanders want a first-round pick and a player for Parenteau. Good luck there, Garth.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 10
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 25
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 6
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)