Feb 27, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
There’s a bit of attention on the Islanders today as they work to get an extension done with Evgeni Nabokov, but another player in need of a new contract at the end of the season is now up for grabs.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the Islanders are now taking trade offers for forward P.A. Parenteau. Parenteau is set to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and he’s put up monster numbers this year playing on a line with John Tavares.
With 56 points, 42 via assist, Parenteau has made a nice name for himself as a complementary player. Parenteau has made it a point to say that he doesn’t want to negotiate a new deal during the season thanks to the distractions that offers. That is something that gives the Islanders and GM Garth Snow a reason to pause as his numbers mean that he could garner interest on the open market this summer.
Parenteau wants to stay with the Islanders, but the Isles are clearly trying to protect their own interests. Chris Botta of the New York Times says the Islanders want a first-round pick and a player for Parenteau. Good luck there, Garth.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)