Feb 27, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
That’s the feeling after Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson conducted a post trade-deadline presser…to tell reporters Nash instigated trade talks by asking for a move out of Columbus.
“He approached us and asked us to [trade] him,” Howson said. “It’s too important for [us] to not make a deal in our best interests. He’s a member of our team. He’s our captain. That’s not going to change.”
Howson said Nash asked for a trade “in the middle to the end of January,” something that took him and the organization “a while to digest.” Howson then re-iterated the Jackets wouldn’t be pressured into moving Nash at the deadline.
“There were very few sellers, that’s why the market was so tight,” Howson explained. “The market will be quite a bit looser in the off-season. Many more teams expressed they’d have more interest in the off-season…We talked to every team.”
Howson’s strategy (assuming there’s a strategy) is fairly unprecedented. One, it chucks Nash so far under the bus he’s licking axles — how is he supposed to finish the year with a “C” on his jersey?
Two, it reeks of the inmates running the asylum. Even if your players are running the show, you should at least try to give the perception that you’re in charge. Because, you know…you’re in charge.
Predictably, Howson has come under fire in the media.
Mark Spector, Sportsnet: “How about that dressing room in Columbus, where the captain can’t get out fast enough. Can he say, “Follow me, boys!”
Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: “With Howson revealing that Nash asked for trade, atmosphere in Columbus could get to be more toxic than the one on Venus.”
EJ Hradek, ESPN: “CBJ GM Scott Howson says Rick Nash approached the team about a trade. No doubt, this relationship will end this summer.”
Bruce Arthur, National Post: “So after being painted as the villain of the piece by his GM just now, I’d like to hear Rick Nash give his press conference.”
We’ll follow-up with more quotes from the Howson presser shortly.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)