Feb 27, 2012, 9:37 AM EDT
Washington has been without center Nicklas Backstrom for some time now after getting concussed by then Calgary forward Rene Bourque. With today being the trading deadline and the Caps being short of cap space, they’re putting the play maker on long term injured reserve.
According to Lindsay Applebaum of The Washington Post, the Caps putting Backstrom on LTIR will give them about $7.6 million in salary cap space to work with today and through until he returns to action. There’s no timetable as of yet when, exactly, that will be.
If the Caps make the playoffs and Backstrom returns in time for the postseason, the Caps won’t have to worry about the salary situation anymore as there’s no salary cap in the postseason. Does that mean the Caps dive into the trading pool head first today? Well let’s just say that Rick Nash isn’t about to walk through that door.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 9
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 31
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 71
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'