Feb 27, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
That was the official diagnosis from B’s head coach Claude Julien after the defenseman absorbed a fierce hit from Ottawa’s Chris Neil on Saturday:
In a related move, the Bruins have recalled defenseman Andrew Bodnarchuk from AHL Providence. He could replace Boychuk, who is reportedly feeling “a little foggy” following the hit — given current concussion protocol, Boychuk may be held out of the lineup for Tuesday’s rematch against the Senators.
On Monday, Bodnarchuk skated on the third defensive pairing at practice alongside Adam McQuaid.
It appears very unlikely that the ultra-durable Boychuk will be available for tomorrow night’s rematch against the Senators, but the B’s coaching staff hadn’t yet made that determination.
“With Johnny we’re dealing with post-concussion symptoms and he’s day-to-day,” said Julien. “But he’s already feeling much better.”
Both a source close to Boychuk and his own teammates seem to think his issue wasn’t a serious injury like the one that’s kept Nathan Horton out for over a month.
It’ll be interesting to see how Boychuk’s handled in light of Boston’s history with concussions. Patrice Bergeron missed almost a full year with a concussion, Marc Savard‘s career is potentially done because of one and Horton is out indefinitely with no timetable for return.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)