Feb 27, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
That was the official diagnosis from B’s head coach Claude Julien after the defenseman absorbed a fierce hit from Ottawa’s Chris Neil on Saturday:
In a related move, the Bruins have recalled defenseman Andrew Bodnarchuk from AHL Providence. He could replace Boychuk, who is reportedly feeling “a little foggy” following the hit — given current concussion protocol, Boychuk may be held out of the lineup for Tuesday’s rematch against the Senators.
On Monday, Bodnarchuk skated on the third defensive pairing at practice alongside Adam McQuaid.
It appears very unlikely that the ultra-durable Boychuk will be available for tomorrow night’s rematch against the Senators, but the B’s coaching staff hadn’t yet made that determination.
“With Johnny we’re dealing with post-concussion symptoms and he’s day-to-day,” said Julien. “But he’s already feeling much better.”
Both a source close to Boychuk and his own teammates seem to think his issue wasn’t a serious injury like the one that’s kept Nathan Horton out for over a month.
It’ll be interesting to see how Boychuk’s handled in light of Boston’s history with concussions. Patrice Bergeron missed almost a full year with a concussion, Marc Savard‘s career is potentially done because of one and Horton is out indefinitely with no timetable for return.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 5
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)