Feb 27, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
That was the official diagnosis from B’s head coach Claude Julien after the defenseman absorbed a fierce hit from Ottawa’s Chris Neil on Saturday:
In a related move, the Bruins have recalled defenseman Andrew Bodnarchuk from AHL Providence. He could replace Boychuk, who is reportedly feeling “a little foggy” following the hit — given current concussion protocol, Boychuk may be held out of the lineup for Tuesday’s rematch against the Senators.
On Monday, Bodnarchuk skated on the third defensive pairing at practice alongside Adam McQuaid.
It appears very unlikely that the ultra-durable Boychuk will be available for tomorrow night’s rematch against the Senators, but the B’s coaching staff hadn’t yet made that determination.
“With Johnny we’re dealing with post-concussion symptoms and he’s day-to-day,” said Julien. “But he’s already feeling much better.”
Both a source close to Boychuk and his own teammates seem to think his issue wasn’t a serious injury like the one that’s kept Nathan Horton out for over a month.
It’ll be interesting to see how Boychuk’s handled in light of Boston’s history with concussions. Patrice Bergeron missed almost a full year with a concussion, Marc Savard‘s career is potentially done because of one and Horton is out indefinitely with no timetable for return.
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 1
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)