Feb 27, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
That was the official diagnosis from B’s head coach Claude Julien after the defenseman absorbed a fierce hit from Ottawa’s Chris Neil on Saturday:
In a related move, the Bruins have recalled defenseman Andrew Bodnarchuk from AHL Providence. He could replace Boychuk, who is reportedly feeling “a little foggy” following the hit — given current concussion protocol, Boychuk may be held out of the lineup for Tuesday’s rematch against the Senators.
On Monday, Bodnarchuk skated on the third defensive pairing at practice alongside Adam McQuaid.
It appears very unlikely that the ultra-durable Boychuk will be available for tomorrow night’s rematch against the Senators, but the B’s coaching staff hadn’t yet made that determination.
“With Johnny we’re dealing with post-concussion symptoms and he’s day-to-day,” said Julien. “But he’s already feeling much better.”
Both a source close to Boychuk and his own teammates seem to think his issue wasn’t a serious injury like the one that’s kept Nathan Horton out for over a month.
It’ll be interesting to see how Boychuk’s handled in light of Boston’s history with concussions. Patrice Bergeron missed almost a full year with a concussion, Marc Savard‘s career is potentially done because of one and Horton is out indefinitely with no timetable for return.
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 0
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)