Feb 26, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
The trade deadline hits at 3 p.m. ET Monday and it’s generally been a day filled with action big and small. This year’s deadline could be more of the same. Small tweaks or franchise-changing moves could happen just the same. Who might be on the move this year? Here’s a list of ten names you might see us writing about tomorrow.
1. Rick Nash, RW – Columbus Blue Jackets
He’s the big prize to be had and with at least three teams (Toronto, San Jose and Philly) and perhaps other sneaky suitors (Nashville). His agent wants to see him moved and Nash wants this ordeal done. Whether or not Scott Howson bites and gets things done is the million dollar question.
2. Steve Ott, LW – Dallas Stars
Dallas’ sandpaper-like forward has earned a lot of interest of late. With Vancouver and Philadelphia appearing to be the front-runners for the 29-year-old and the Canucks in particular freeing up cap space recently, Ott could be had. Dallas hanging around in the playoff race might mean he doesn’t go anywhere which would suit Ott just fine.
3. Evgeni Nabokov, G – New York Islanders
Some teams could use some veteran goaltending help (Toronto, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay) and whether Nabokov signs a contract extension with the Isles will likely decide whether he can be had or not. If Nabokov is off limits, perhaps Tampa Bay’s Dwayne Roloson would make a nice booby prize despite his rough season.
4. Dustin Brown, RW – Los Angeles Kings
It was a bombshell when it was made known that Dustin Brown could be had via trade. After seeing him blow up for a hat trick and four points against Chicago, however, perhaps word of him being available was meant to be the kick in the butt he needed to get going and probably stick in Los Angeles.
5. Andrei Kostitsyn, LW – Montreal Canadiens
Is your team in need of a depth forward with scoring touch that’s tired of the rat race in Montreal? Kostitsyn is your guy. Nashville (where his brother Sergei is), Detroit, who’s sniffing around for forward depth, and others in need of scoring help could be in the mix here.
6. Bryan Allen, D – Carolina Hurricanes
With Carolina re-signing Tuomo Ruutu to a whopper of a deal and things not going as smoothly between these two sides, Allen is shaping up to be the guy headed out of town. We’ve already seen Niklas Grossman and Hal Gill get moved and Allen is the next in line to be had. He’s physical and a defensive-defenseman that will give you about 19 minutes a game. Don’t expect any offense here though.
7. Nikolai Khabibulin, G – Edmonton Oilers
If your team needs goaltending help, perhaps kicking the tires on this aging Stanley Cup winner is what would fit the bill. With the issues Toronto has had in goal, would Brian Burke dare deviate from the plan to pick up an old warhorse like the ‘Bulin Wall? (No, probably not)
8. Jonathan Bernier, G – Los Angeles Kings
Teams with long-term issues in goal (Columbus, Tampa Bay) might choose now to address those problems. While those teams would also covet Vancouver’s Cory Schneider and may wait til summer to make a run at him, Bernier is also a young and potential franchise goalie that will get attention, especially if there’s a scoring forward to be had in the deal.
9. Derick Brassard, C – Columbus Blue Jackets
Speaking of young players potentially on the move, Columbus’ Derick Brassard is believed to still be out there and available at the right price. It won’t be easy to pull him away, but with Columbus in “anything goes” mode, the right deal could net a team with a need at center a young playmaker.
10. Shane O’Brien, D – Colorado Avalanche
If there’s a team desperate for physical defense and wants a guy on an expiring contract, O’Brien could garner interest. He’s been on playoff teams before and has that experience. Problem here is that Colorado is still in the hunt for the postseason and may not want to sell too much.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:06 AM EST
“Players would have to come to me.”
Mar 3, 2015, 10:55 AM EST
The other new guy, Sean Bergenheim, will play with Nino Niederreiter and Charlie Coyle.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:41 AM EST
The two squads will play again on Sunday.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:35 AM EST
Plenty of roster spots to be filled in Buffalo after yesterday’s deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:57 AM EST
Is this a sign of what they should expect to face as free agents?
Mar 3, 2015, 9:11 AM EST
This was a key win for San Jose.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:56 AM EST
Tampa Bay needs to get hot to challenge the Atlantic Division-leading Montreal Canadiens.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:23 PM EST
Kimmo Timonen and Antoine Vermette made their debuts.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:49 PM EST
San Jose beat Montreal 4-0 on Monday.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
An impressive effort for a team going all-in.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:03 PM EST
Then again, Taylor Beck’s helper might have been better.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:14 PM EST
He’ll pair with Sergei Gonchar to start.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:31 PM EST
Adding versatility in a tough West.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:49 PM EST
Quite a rebound from a scary lacerated arm.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:59 PM EST
“We were looking to upgrade, add more of a veteran presence.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:49 PM EST
“It’s just hard to get a deal done, and you see the prices are so high.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was it just a sellers’ market?
Mar 2, 2015, 5:10 PM EST
He gets a no-trade clause in the first year of the deal.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:09 PM EST
“Devastating” news for the Calgary Flames.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)