Feb 26, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
The Senators appeared to have an uncertain future in goal with Craig Anderson out of action thanks to cutting his hand making dinner. Senators GM Bryan Murray couldn’t stand pat and let an uneasy tandem of Alex Auld and Robin Lehner lead the way and has instead found another solution.
According to the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, the Senators have acquired Ben Bishop from the St. Louis Blues in exchange for a 2013 second-round draft pick. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that the Senators signed Bishop to a one-year, one-way contract after the deal was done otherwise Bishop ran the risk of becoming an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.
Bishop was stuck in the AHL for the Blues thanks to the stellar play of both Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott in goal and was one of the best in the AHL. Now he’ll get a shot to jump into the fire of a playoff race in Ottawa and show that he can get it done full time on the NHL stage.
Standing at 6’7″ tall, the former University of Maine product makes for an imposing figure in goal and one the Senators hope can lead them into the postseason, especially with Anderson’s return date being indefinite.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 38
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 34
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (39)