Feb 26, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
The Senators appeared to have an uncertain future in goal with Craig Anderson out of action thanks to cutting his hand making dinner. Senators GM Bryan Murray couldn’t stand pat and let an uneasy tandem of Alex Auld and Robin Lehner lead the way and has instead found another solution.
According to the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, the Senators have acquired Ben Bishop from the St. Louis Blues in exchange for a 2013 second-round draft pick. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that the Senators signed Bishop to a one-year, one-way contract after the deal was done otherwise Bishop ran the risk of becoming an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.
Bishop was stuck in the AHL for the Blues thanks to the stellar play of both Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott in goal and was one of the best in the AHL. Now he’ll get a shot to jump into the fire of a playoff race in Ottawa and show that he can get it done full time on the NHL stage.
Standing at 6’7″ tall, the former University of Maine product makes for an imposing figure in goal and one the Senators hope can lead them into the postseason, especially with Anderson’s return date being indefinite.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)