Feb 26, 2012, 11:54 AM EST
The Senators appeared to have an uncertain future in goal with Craig Anderson out of action thanks to cutting his hand making dinner. Senators GM Bryan Murray couldn’t stand pat and let an uneasy tandem of Alex Auld and Robin Lehner lead the way and has instead found another solution.
According to the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, the Senators have acquired Ben Bishop from the St. Louis Blues in exchange for a 2013 second-round draft pick. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that the Senators signed Bishop to a one-year, one-way contract after the deal was done otherwise Bishop ran the risk of becoming an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.
Bishop was stuck in the AHL for the Blues thanks to the stellar play of both Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott in goal and was one of the best in the AHL. Now he’ll get a shot to jump into the fire of a playoff race in Ottawa and show that he can get it done full time on the NHL stage.
Standing at 6’7″ tall, the former University of Maine product makes for an imposing figure in goal and one the Senators hope can lead them into the postseason, especially with Anderson’s return date being indefinite.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 1
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 14
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)