Feb 26, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
The Senators appeared to have an uncertain future in goal with Craig Anderson out of action thanks to cutting his hand making dinner. Senators GM Bryan Murray couldn’t stand pat and let an uneasy tandem of Alex Auld and Robin Lehner lead the way and has instead found another solution.
According to the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, the Senators have acquired Ben Bishop from the St. Louis Blues in exchange for a 2013 second-round draft pick. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that the Senators signed Bishop to a one-year, one-way contract after the deal was done otherwise Bishop ran the risk of becoming an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.
Bishop was stuck in the AHL for the Blues thanks to the stellar play of both Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott in goal and was one of the best in the AHL. Now he’ll get a shot to jump into the fire of a playoff race in Ottawa and show that he can get it done full time on the NHL stage.
Standing at 6’7″ tall, the former University of Maine product makes for an imposing figure in goal and one the Senators hope can lead them into the postseason, especially with Anderson’s return date being indefinite.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 0
- Avs’ Parenteau (knee) likely out for remainder of regular season, playoffs unclear 0
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 14
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 17
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)