Feb 26, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
The Senators appeared to have an uncertain future in goal with Craig Anderson out of action thanks to cutting his hand making dinner. Senators GM Bryan Murray couldn’t stand pat and let an uneasy tandem of Alex Auld and Robin Lehner lead the way and has instead found another solution.
According to the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, the Senators have acquired Ben Bishop from the St. Louis Blues in exchange for a 2013 second-round draft pick. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that the Senators signed Bishop to a one-year, one-way contract after the deal was done otherwise Bishop ran the risk of becoming an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.
Bishop was stuck in the AHL for the Blues thanks to the stellar play of both Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott in goal and was one of the best in the AHL. Now he’ll get a shot to jump into the fire of a playoff race in Ottawa and show that he can get it done full time on the NHL stage.
Standing at 6’7″ tall, the former University of Maine product makes for an imposing figure in goal and one the Senators hope can lead them into the postseason, especially with Anderson’s return date being indefinite.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)