Feb 26, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
Ever since it became known that Rick Nash was available for trade, the New York Rangers have been mentioned often as the team most interested in him. With rumored offers floating out there, it appeared that Columbus GM Scott Howson would have at least one team to talk with for their superstar captain.
That’s about to change.
Reports from both Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos and ESPN New York’s Katie Strang say that the price to obtain Nash is too high for Rangers GM Glen Sather and that the Rangers are out of the hunt for the star winger.
With Columbus’ demands being so high, including rumored deals that involved any of Brandon Dubinsky, Michael Del Zotto, Ryan McDonagh, and Tim Erixon, it’s more than understandable why the Rangers might blanch at the thought of such a monstrous package to obtain Nash.
The effect this has on the trade market for Nash now becomes fascinating as the other teams in the hunt now don’t have to worry about the Rangers coming over the top to crush their offers. San Jose, Vancouver, Toronto, Philadelphia, and Nashville are all believed to have interest in Nash but it’s unknown how many of those teams Nash would approve a trade to.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)