Feb 26, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
Ever since it became known that Rick Nash was available for trade, the New York Rangers have been mentioned often as the team most interested in him. With rumored offers floating out there, it appeared that Columbus GM Scott Howson would have at least one team to talk with for their superstar captain.
That’s about to change.
Reports from both Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos and ESPN New York’s Katie Strang say that the price to obtain Nash is too high for Rangers GM Glen Sather and that the Rangers are out of the hunt for the star winger.
With Columbus’ demands being so high, including rumored deals that involved any of Brandon Dubinsky, Michael Del Zotto, Ryan McDonagh, and Tim Erixon, it’s more than understandable why the Rangers might blanch at the thought of such a monstrous package to obtain Nash.
The effect this has on the trade market for Nash now becomes fascinating as the other teams in the hunt now don’t have to worry about the Rangers coming over the top to crush their offers. San Jose, Vancouver, Toronto, Philadelphia, and Nashville are all believed to have interest in Nash but it’s unknown how many of those teams Nash would approve a trade to.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)