Feb 26, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
Ever since it became known that Rick Nash was available for trade, the New York Rangers have been mentioned often as the team most interested in him. With rumored offers floating out there, it appeared that Columbus GM Scott Howson would have at least one team to talk with for their superstar captain.
That’s about to change.
Reports from both Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos and ESPN New York’s Katie Strang say that the price to obtain Nash is too high for Rangers GM Glen Sather and that the Rangers are out of the hunt for the star winger.
With Columbus’ demands being so high, including rumored deals that involved any of Brandon Dubinsky, Michael Del Zotto, Ryan McDonagh, and Tim Erixon, it’s more than understandable why the Rangers might blanch at the thought of such a monstrous package to obtain Nash.
The effect this has on the trade market for Nash now becomes fascinating as the other teams in the hunt now don’t have to worry about the Rangers coming over the top to crush their offers. San Jose, Vancouver, Toronto, Philadelphia, and Nashville are all believed to have interest in Nash but it’s unknown how many of those teams Nash would approve a trade to.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)