Feb 26, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
Ever since it became known that Rick Nash was available for trade, the New York Rangers have been mentioned often as the team most interested in him. With rumored offers floating out there, it appeared that Columbus GM Scott Howson would have at least one team to talk with for their superstar captain.
That’s about to change.
Reports from both Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos and ESPN New York’s Katie Strang say that the price to obtain Nash is too high for Rangers GM Glen Sather and that the Rangers are out of the hunt for the star winger.
With Columbus’ demands being so high, including rumored deals that involved any of Brandon Dubinsky, Michael Del Zotto, Ryan McDonagh, and Tim Erixon, it’s more than understandable why the Rangers might blanch at the thought of such a monstrous package to obtain Nash.
The effect this has on the trade market for Nash now becomes fascinating as the other teams in the hunt now don’t have to worry about the Rangers coming over the top to crush their offers. San Jose, Vancouver, Toronto, Philadelphia, and Nashville are all believed to have interest in Nash but it’s unknown how many of those teams Nash would approve a trade to.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)