Feb 26, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Although negotiations are still ongoing, the New York Islanders aren’t likely to re-sign Evgeni Nabokov before the trade deadline at 3pm on Monday. That puts Islanders GM Garth Snow in a difficult position: he can either put his faith in the negotiations or trade Nabokov rather than risk losing him for nothing.
Any team that’s still in contention and has less than absolute faith in their goaltenders should be at least interested in Nabokov. He has been superb this season and comes with an appealing $570,000 annual cap hit.
For Nabokov, who has a no-trade clause, the fact that the trade deadline is rapidly approaching might be less of a problem. Although he hasn’t agreed to terms with the Islanders, he apparently has no problem finishing the season with the club and will not ask for a trade.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 12
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 22
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)