Feb 26, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Although negotiations are still ongoing, the New York Islanders aren’t likely to re-sign Evgeni Nabokov before the trade deadline at 3pm on Monday. That puts Islanders GM Garth Snow in a difficult position: he can either put his faith in the negotiations or trade Nabokov rather than risk losing him for nothing.
Any team that’s still in contention and has less than absolute faith in their goaltenders should be at least interested in Nabokov. He has been superb this season and comes with an appealing $570,000 annual cap hit.
For Nabokov, who has a no-trade clause, the fact that the trade deadline is rapidly approaching might be less of a problem. Although he hasn’t agreed to terms with the Islanders, he apparently has no problem finishing the season with the club and will not ask for a trade.
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 1
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 0
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 13
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 33
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 19
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 58
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 26