Feb 26, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Although negotiations are still ongoing, the New York Islanders aren’t likely to re-sign Evgeni Nabokov before the trade deadline at 3pm on Monday. That puts Islanders GM Garth Snow in a difficult position: he can either put his faith in the negotiations or trade Nabokov rather than risk losing him for nothing.
Any team that’s still in contention and has less than absolute faith in their goaltenders should be at least interested in Nabokov. He has been superb this season and comes with an appealing $570,000 annual cap hit.
For Nabokov, who has a no-trade clause, the fact that the trade deadline is rapidly approaching might be less of a problem. Although he hasn’t agreed to terms with the Islanders, he apparently has no problem finishing the season with the club and will not ask for a trade.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 2
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 14
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 15
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9