Feb 26, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
Although negotiations are still ongoing, the New York Islanders aren’t likely to re-sign Evgeni Nabokov before the trade deadline at 3pm on Monday. That puts Islanders GM Garth Snow in a difficult position: he can either put his faith in the negotiations or trade Nabokov rather than risk losing him for nothing.
Any team that’s still in contention and has less than absolute faith in their goaltenders should be at least interested in Nabokov. He has been superb this season and comes with an appealing $570,000 annual cap hit.
For Nabokov, who has a no-trade clause, the fact that the trade deadline is rapidly approaching might be less of a problem. Although he hasn’t agreed to terms with the Islanders, he apparently has no problem finishing the season with the club and will not ask for a trade.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)