Feb 26, 2012, 2:02 PM EDT
Here’s your update on what’s happening with Kyle Turris.
Turris’ hit on Boston’s Joe Corvo that earned him an appointment with Brendan Shanahan this afternoon has resulted in no suspension for the Senators forward according to Ian Mendes of Sportsnet. Mendes reports that Turris is in the lineup for this afternoon’s game against the Islanders and will not face supplementary discipline.
Brendan Shanahan’s statement on why there’s no suspension for Turris was clear.
“Because there was enough head contact on this hit, the Department of Player Safety felt it was necessary to convene a hearing to examine the play further,” NHL Senior Vice President of Player Safety and Hockey Operations Brendan Shanahan said. “After reviewing the video extensively as we heard Turris’ explanation of how the play developed, we concluded that the head was not targeted intentionally or even recklessly and that the circumstances surrounding the hit contributed significantly to the amount of head contact that resulted.
“We therefore have decided that there will be no supplemental discipline added to the penalty assessed on the play.”
Makes sense to us, but that won’t do much to keep Bruins fans or NESN’s Jack Edwards happy.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)