Feb 26, 2012, 2:02 PM EST
Here’s your update on what’s happening with Kyle Turris.
Turris’ hit on Boston’s Joe Corvo that earned him an appointment with Brendan Shanahan this afternoon has resulted in no suspension for the Senators forward according to Ian Mendes of Sportsnet. Mendes reports that Turris is in the lineup for this afternoon’s game against the Islanders and will not face supplementary discipline.
Brendan Shanahan’s statement on why there’s no suspension for Turris was clear.
“Because there was enough head contact on this hit, the Department of Player Safety felt it was necessary to convene a hearing to examine the play further,” NHL Senior Vice President of Player Safety and Hockey Operations Brendan Shanahan said. “After reviewing the video extensively as we heard Turris’ explanation of how the play developed, we concluded that the head was not targeted intentionally or even recklessly and that the circumstances surrounding the hit contributed significantly to the amount of head contact that resulted.
“We therefore have decided that there will be no supplemental discipline added to the penalty assessed on the play.”
Makes sense to us, but that won’t do much to keep Bruins fans or NESN’s Jack Edwards happy.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)