Feb 26, 2012, 11:06 AM EST
When you think of thunderous checkers in the NHL, we’re betting that Kyle Turris‘ name doesn’t immediately come to mind. Last night in the third period against the Bruins, Turris made his presence felt as he laid a monster hit on Boston defenseman Joe Corvo.
Turris received two minutes for boarding and he’s also earned a hearing with the NHL over the hit. He’s also earned a spot on Jack Edwards’ permanent enemies list given his reaction to the play. Does it fit the bill as a suspendable hit though?
Have a look at the hit courtesy of NESN.
It’s not a hit from behind but it looks like he caught Corvo in an unsuspecting manner albeit not exactly blindside. You could argue that Turris leaves his feet, but you could also say that’s just the physics of laying a big hit. It also might be considered a head shot as well.
If you needed further proof that Brendan Shanahan’s job isn’t easy, this is it. With the Sens having a game at 5 p.m. ET today, a decision will be handed down before then.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 0
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 7
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)