Feb 26, 2012, 11:06 AM EDT
When you think of thunderous checkers in the NHL, we’re betting that Kyle Turris‘ name doesn’t immediately come to mind. Last night in the third period against the Bruins, Turris made his presence felt as he laid a monster hit on Boston defenseman Joe Corvo.
Turris received two minutes for boarding and he’s also earned a hearing with the NHL over the hit. He’s also earned a spot on Jack Edwards’ permanent enemies list given his reaction to the play. Does it fit the bill as a suspendable hit though?
Have a look at the hit courtesy of NESN.
It’s not a hit from behind but it looks like he caught Corvo in an unsuspecting manner albeit not exactly blindside. You could argue that Turris leaves his feet, but you could also say that’s just the physics of laying a big hit. It also might be considered a head shot as well.
If you needed further proof that Brendan Shanahan’s job isn’t easy, this is it. With the Sens having a game at 5 p.m. ET today, a decision will be handed down before then.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 49
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (53)