Feb 26, 2012, 11:06 AM EST
When you think of thunderous checkers in the NHL, we’re betting that Kyle Turris‘ name doesn’t immediately come to mind. Last night in the third period against the Bruins, Turris made his presence felt as he laid a monster hit on Boston defenseman Joe Corvo.
Turris received two minutes for boarding and he’s also earned a hearing with the NHL over the hit. He’s also earned a spot on Jack Edwards’ permanent enemies list given his reaction to the play. Does it fit the bill as a suspendable hit though?
Have a look at the hit courtesy of NESN.
It’s not a hit from behind but it looks like he caught Corvo in an unsuspecting manner albeit not exactly blindside. You could argue that Turris leaves his feet, but you could also say that’s just the physics of laying a big hit. It also might be considered a head shot as well.
If you needed further proof that Brendan Shanahan’s job isn’t easy, this is it. With the Sens having a game at 5 p.m. ET today, a decision will be handed down before then.
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 4
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 7
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 59
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (59)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)