Feb 26, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks ended their drought of 39 consecutive power-play opportunities without a goal, but that’s about all that went right for them on Sunday. They suffered their third straight loss, while the Anaheim Ducks stayed hot with their sixth victory in eight games.
Patrick Kane netted Chicago’s first power-play goal in over a month to give Chicago a 1-0 lead midway through the first period. Marian Hossa registered an assist and reached the 60-point mark for the first time since 2008-09. Unfortunately for Chicago, with just 20 seconds remaining in the first period, Andrew Cogliano netted a questionable goal to even the score.
Chicago was thoroughly thrashed after that, being outshot by Anaheim 26-9 over the final 40 minutes. Sheldon Brookbank netted just his third goal in 257 career NHL games while the ageless Teemu Selanne had a goal and an assist. Between the pipes, Jonas Hiller kicked out 18 of 19 shots and has allowed just 10 goals in his last seven starts.
The Blackhawks time at the top of Central Division now seems like a distant memory and at this point, they have next to no chance of catching up to Detroit. Instead, Chicago needs to put this rough patch behind them simply to hold onto their playoff spot. They have a five point lead on the ninth place Los Angeles Kings, but the Blackhawks have played in two extra games. Chicago has two full days off to regroup before they are scheduled to play the Toronto Maple Leafs.
On the Ducks’ side, this win helps to keep their dreams of making the playoffs alive against all odds. Anaheim is six points behind the eighth place Dallas Stars. They’ll try to carry their momentum into Colorado for Monday’s game.
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 0
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 2
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 2
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 7
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 38
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (90)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Watch live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas