Feb 26, 2012, 10:30 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks ended their drought of 39 consecutive power-play opportunities without a goal, but that’s about all that went right for them on Sunday. They suffered their third straight loss, while the Anaheim Ducks stayed hot with their sixth victory in eight games.
Patrick Kane netted Chicago’s first power-play goal in over a month to give Chicago a 1-0 lead midway through the first period. Marian Hossa registered an assist and reached the 60-point mark for the first time since 2008-09. Unfortunately for Chicago, with just 20 seconds remaining in the first period, Andrew Cogliano netted a questionable goal to even the score.
Chicago was thoroughly thrashed after that, being outshot by Anaheim 26-9 over the final 40 minutes. Sheldon Brookbank netted just his third goal in 257 career NHL games while the ageless Teemu Selanne had a goal and an assist. Between the pipes, Jonas Hiller kicked out 18 of 19 shots and has allowed just 10 goals in his last seven starts.
The Blackhawks time at the top of Central Division now seems like a distant memory and at this point, they have next to no chance of catching up to Detroit. Instead, Chicago needs to put this rough patch behind them simply to hold onto their playoff spot. They have a five point lead on the ninth place Los Angeles Kings, but the Blackhawks have played in two extra games. Chicago has two full days off to regroup before they are scheduled to play the Toronto Maple Leafs.
On the Ducks’ side, this win helps to keep their dreams of making the playoffs alive against all odds. Anaheim is six points behind the eighth place Dallas Stars. They’ll try to carry their momentum into Colorado for Monday’s game.
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 4
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 2
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 19
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15
- Bruins have to ‘step up,’ starting tonight in Nashville 45
- Welcome Taylor Hall to the trade rumor mill 53