Feb 26, 2012, 2:47 PM EDT
Blues forward Alex Steen has had his struggles this year recovering from a concussion. He’s missed 26 straight games and the Blues miss his offensive punch in the lineup.
Unfortunately for Steen, his recovery isn’t seeing any stark improvements and he’s champing at the bit to find a way to get healthy. As Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports, Steen will be heading to California to get the same kind of treatment Paul Kariya had for his concussion problems.
“I’m trying to get myself back on track here,” Steen said. “It’s hard to explain what I’m going through. I … don’t want to get into too many details about it, but it’s been on and off. I’ve tried everything in my power to get back on the ice.
“So, I’ll be heading (to California) and (be) leaving the team and leaving St. Louis for a couple of weeks.”
This doesn’t sound very promising for Steen with how he’s doing. Going away for two weeks to see if he can get things figured out is a good step. As for banking on Steen coming back to the help the Blues in the playoffs, that would be a risky proposition.
We know that concussions are tough to figure out and considering he’s going to the same place Kariya was treated, that sounds foreboding. Here’s to hoping it works out better for Steen than it did for Kariya.
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 0
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 2
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 28
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)