Feb 26, 2012, 2:47 PM EDT
Blues forward Alex Steen has had his struggles this year recovering from a concussion. He’s missed 26 straight games and the Blues miss his offensive punch in the lineup.
Unfortunately for Steen, his recovery isn’t seeing any stark improvements and he’s champing at the bit to find a way to get healthy. As Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports, Steen will be heading to California to get the same kind of treatment Paul Kariya had for his concussion problems.
“I’m trying to get myself back on track here,” Steen said. “It’s hard to explain what I’m going through. I … don’t want to get into too many details about it, but it’s been on and off. I’ve tried everything in my power to get back on the ice.
“So, I’ll be heading (to California) and (be) leaving the team and leaving St. Louis for a couple of weeks.”
This doesn’t sound very promising for Steen with how he’s doing. Going away for two weeks to see if he can get things figured out is a good step. As for banking on Steen coming back to the help the Blues in the playoffs, that would be a risky proposition.
We know that concussions are tough to figure out and considering he’s going to the same place Kariya was treated, that sounds foreboding. Here’s to hoping it works out better for Steen than it did for Kariya.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 0
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 7
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 25
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 63
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control