Feb 26, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
Welcome a new, late entrant to the list of intriguing players that could be had at the trade deadline.
Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette reports that the agent for Canadiens center Tomas Plekanec said his client would waive his no-trade clause to be moved out of Montreal after what’s been a very frustrating for both him and the Habs.
While Plekanec said Friday that he wasn’t aware of being the subject of any trade talks, The Gazette has learned that the player’s agent let it be known earlier this month that the veteran centre would be willing to waive the no-trade clause which was part of the six-year, $30-million deal he signed in 2010.
If it’s true that Plekanec is available to be had, it changes the outlook at the last minute as Plekanec is a solid two-way center with high scoring abilities. Hickey says that with how things have deteriorated in Montreal this season, especially with how Plekanec has been used, he’s open to the possibility of being sent out.
Then again, Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos says that Plekanec hasn’t been approached about waiving his no-trade clause and wants to stay in Montreal. An overambitious agent stirring things up wouldn’t exactly be a surprise.
Update (1:33 p.m.): Now you have to wonder who Pat Hickey was talking to in the first place. RDS’s Renaud Lavoie spoke with Rick Curran, Plekanec’s agent, who tells him that Plekanec is not willing to waive his no-trade clause and no such discussions have occurred with the Habs.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)