Feb 26, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
Welcome a new, late entrant to the list of intriguing players that could be had at the trade deadline.
Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette reports that the agent for Canadiens center Tomas Plekanec said his client would waive his no-trade clause to be moved out of Montreal after what’s been a very frustrating for both him and the Habs.
While Plekanec said Friday that he wasn’t aware of being the subject of any trade talks, The Gazette has learned that the player’s agent let it be known earlier this month that the veteran centre would be willing to waive the no-trade clause which was part of the six-year, $30-million deal he signed in 2010.
If it’s true that Plekanec is available to be had, it changes the outlook at the last minute as Plekanec is a solid two-way center with high scoring abilities. Hickey says that with how things have deteriorated in Montreal this season, especially with how Plekanec has been used, he’s open to the possibility of being sent out.
Then again, Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos says that Plekanec hasn’t been approached about waiving his no-trade clause and wants to stay in Montreal. An overambitious agent stirring things up wouldn’t exactly be a surprise.
Update (1:33 p.m.): Now you have to wonder who Pat Hickey was talking to in the first place. RDS’s Renaud Lavoie spoke with Rick Curran, Plekanec’s agent, who tells him that Plekanec is not willing to waive his no-trade clause and no such discussions have occurred with the Habs.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 11
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 24
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)