Feb 26, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
Welcome a new, late entrant to the list of intriguing players that could be had at the trade deadline.
Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette reports that the agent for Canadiens center Tomas Plekanec said his client would waive his no-trade clause to be moved out of Montreal after what’s been a very frustrating for both him and the Habs.
While Plekanec said Friday that he wasn’t aware of being the subject of any trade talks, The Gazette has learned that the player’s agent let it be known earlier this month that the veteran centre would be willing to waive the no-trade clause which was part of the six-year, $30-million deal he signed in 2010.
If it’s true that Plekanec is available to be had, it changes the outlook at the last minute as Plekanec is a solid two-way center with high scoring abilities. Hickey says that with how things have deteriorated in Montreal this season, especially with how Plekanec has been used, he’s open to the possibility of being sent out.
Then again, Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos says that Plekanec hasn’t been approached about waiving his no-trade clause and wants to stay in Montreal. An overambitious agent stirring things up wouldn’t exactly be a surprise.
Update (1:33 p.m.): Now you have to wonder who Pat Hickey was talking to in the first place. RDS’s Renaud Lavoie spoke with Rick Curran, Plekanec’s agent, who tells him that Plekanec is not willing to waive his no-trade clause and no such discussions have occurred with the Habs.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 5
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (57)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)