Feb 26, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
Welcome a new, late entrant to the list of intriguing players that could be had at the trade deadline.
Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette reports that the agent for Canadiens center Tomas Plekanec said his client would waive his no-trade clause to be moved out of Montreal after what’s been a very frustrating for both him and the Habs.
While Plekanec said Friday that he wasn’t aware of being the subject of any trade talks, The Gazette has learned that the player’s agent let it be known earlier this month that the veteran centre would be willing to waive the no-trade clause which was part of the six-year, $30-million deal he signed in 2010.
If it’s true that Plekanec is available to be had, it changes the outlook at the last minute as Plekanec is a solid two-way center with high scoring abilities. Hickey says that with how things have deteriorated in Montreal this season, especially with how Plekanec has been used, he’s open to the possibility of being sent out.
Then again, Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos says that Plekanec hasn’t been approached about waiving his no-trade clause and wants to stay in Montreal. An overambitious agent stirring things up wouldn’t exactly be a surprise.
Update (1:33 p.m.): Now you have to wonder who Pat Hickey was talking to in the first place. RDS’s Renaud Lavoie spoke with Rick Curran, Plekanec’s agent, who tells him that Plekanec is not willing to waive his no-trade clause and no such discussions have occurred with the Habs.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 27
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)