Feb 25, 2012, 9:55 AM EDT
Nugent-Hopkins will be back in the Oilers lineup today against the Coyotes and he’ll be back in his quest to try and win the Calder Trophy. Nugent-Hopkins tells Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal how he’s feeling.
“I feel really good,” he said on Friday, “and I haven’t tweaked it in a long time. It’s not getting sore after I shoot or anything like that.
“It might take a couple of shifts to get my legs going, but I don’t want to have that happen. I do want to get into the game right away.”
Incredibly enough, despite his absence at times this year, he’s still near the top of the rookie scoring leaderboard. Nugent-Hopkins’ 35 points puts him third in the NHL just six points behind rookie scoring leader Adam Henrique and one point back of Gabriel Landeskog.
With how the Oilers have been scoring goals lately, betting against the ‘Nuge being able to catch Henrique would be unwise.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)