Feb 25, 2012, 1:01 PM EST
If you’re wondering why the Rangers didn’t put Wojtek Wolski on waivers today ahead of the trade deadline, you know why now.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Wolski has been dealt to the Florida Panthers. TSN’s Darren Dreger finds out that the Panthers send a 2013 third-round pick minor leaguer Mike Vernace back to the Rangers in return.
Wolski has played in just nine games this year for the Rangers dealing with injuries and inactivity alike. Wolski has no goals and three assists this season all while costing the Rangers $3.8 million against the salary cap.
With Wolski off the Rangers hands, the speculation surrounding the latest rumored offer the Rangers made to Columbus for Rick Nash will only grow stronger. With the little bit of added salary relief for the Rangers, it opens up cap space for them to add a fatter contract to the books for the rest of the season. Oh, by the way, Rick Nash’s cap hit is north of $7 million.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)