Feb 25, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
If you’re wondering why the Rangers didn’t put Wojtek Wolski on waivers today ahead of the trade deadline, you know why now.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Wolski has been dealt to the Florida Panthers. TSN’s Darren Dreger finds out that the Panthers send a 2013 third-round pick minor leaguer Mike Vernace back to the Rangers in return.
Wolski has played in just nine games this year for the Rangers dealing with injuries and inactivity alike. Wolski has no goals and three assists this season all while costing the Rangers $3.8 million against the salary cap.
With Wolski off the Rangers hands, the speculation surrounding the latest rumored offer the Rangers made to Columbus for Rick Nash will only grow stronger. With the little bit of added salary relief for the Rangers, it opens up cap space for them to add a fatter contract to the books for the rest of the season. Oh, by the way, Rick Nash’s cap hit is north of $7 million.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 29
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (69)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)