Feb 25, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
If you’re wondering why the Rangers didn’t put Wojtek Wolski on waivers today ahead of the trade deadline, you know why now.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Wolski has been dealt to the Florida Panthers. TSN’s Darren Dreger finds out that the Panthers send a 2013 third-round pick minor leaguer Mike Vernace back to the Rangers in return.
Wolski has played in just nine games this year for the Rangers dealing with injuries and inactivity alike. Wolski has no goals and three assists this season all while costing the Rangers $3.8 million against the salary cap.
With Wolski off the Rangers hands, the speculation surrounding the latest rumored offer the Rangers made to Columbus for Rick Nash will only grow stronger. With the little bit of added salary relief for the Rangers, it opens up cap space for them to add a fatter contract to the books for the rest of the season. Oh, by the way, Rick Nash’s cap hit is north of $7 million.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 13
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 9
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 41
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 52
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (52)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (41)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)