Feb 25, 2012, 1:01 PM EST
If you’re wondering why the Rangers didn’t put Wojtek Wolski on waivers today ahead of the trade deadline, you know why now.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Wolski has been dealt to the Florida Panthers. TSN’s Darren Dreger finds out that the Panthers send a 2013 third-round pick minor leaguer Mike Vernace back to the Rangers in return.
Wolski has played in just nine games this year for the Rangers dealing with injuries and inactivity alike. Wolski has no goals and three assists this season all while costing the Rangers $3.8 million against the salary cap.
With Wolski off the Rangers hands, the speculation surrounding the latest rumored offer the Rangers made to Columbus for Rick Nash will only grow stronger. With the little bit of added salary relief for the Rangers, it opens up cap space for them to add a fatter contract to the books for the rest of the season. Oh, by the way, Rick Nash’s cap hit is north of $7 million.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 5
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 60
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 3
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (60)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)