Feb 25, 2012, 1:01 PM EST
If you’re wondering why the Rangers didn’t put Wojtek Wolski on waivers today ahead of the trade deadline, you know why now.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Wolski has been dealt to the Florida Panthers. TSN’s Darren Dreger finds out that the Panthers send a 2013 third-round pick minor leaguer Mike Vernace back to the Rangers in return.
Wolski has played in just nine games this year for the Rangers dealing with injuries and inactivity alike. Wolski has no goals and three assists this season all while costing the Rangers $3.8 million against the salary cap.
With Wolski off the Rangers hands, the speculation surrounding the latest rumored offer the Rangers made to Columbus for Rick Nash will only grow stronger. With the little bit of added salary relief for the Rangers, it opens up cap space for them to add a fatter contract to the books for the rest of the season. Oh, by the way, Rick Nash’s cap hit is north of $7 million.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)