Feb 25, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
With the trade deadline on the way on Monday, today was the day for teams to place guys on waivers. TSN’s Bob McKenzie has the full run down of today’s action.
The busiest team was Columbus as they placed forward Ryan Russell and defenseman Grant Clitsome on waivers while claiming former Maple Leafs forward Darryl Boyce. Boyce slots in as a checking forward and should get time on Columbus’ fourth line. Clitsome is the intriguing guy here as he’s got another year left on his deal at just over $1 million, but he’s a guy that could be useful to a team in need of blue line help.
The Islanders and Devils shuffled around veteran forwards as the Isles waived Brian Rolston and the Devils put Eric Boulton out there to be potentially taken off their hands. Rolston is in the final year of his contract that’s paying him over $5 million against the salary cap. The Isles are stuck with his cap hit unless another team grabs him thanks to his deal being a 35-and-over contract.
Calgary also got in the action putting Krys Kolanos on waivers while Minnesota put Brad Staubitz on re-entry waivers. Any team claiming Staubitz gets him at half-price. Don’t expect much action there.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5