Feb 25, 2012, 2:04 PM EST
With the trade deadline on the way on Monday, today was the day for teams to place guys on waivers. TSN’s Bob McKenzie has the full run down of today’s action.
The busiest team was Columbus as they placed forward Ryan Russell and defenseman Grant Clitsome on waivers while claiming former Maple Leafs forward Darryl Boyce. Boyce slots in as a checking forward and should get time on Columbus’ fourth line. Clitsome is the intriguing guy here as he’s got another year left on his deal at just over $1 million, but he’s a guy that could be useful to a team in need of blue line help.
The Islanders and Devils shuffled around veteran forwards as the Isles waived Brian Rolston and the Devils put Eric Boulton out there to be potentially taken off their hands. Rolston is in the final year of his contract that’s paying him over $5 million against the salary cap. The Isles are stuck with his cap hit unless another team grabs him thanks to his deal being a 35-and-over contract.
Calgary also got in the action putting Krys Kolanos on waivers while Minnesota put Brad Staubitz on re-entry waivers. Any team claiming Staubitz gets him at half-price. Don’t expect much action there.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)