Feb 25, 2012, 7:15 PM EST
While the rumors about the potential sale of the Phoenix Coyotes roll on, the reality of the situation in Glendale, Arizona remains as uncomfortable as ever.
A report from Cecilia Chan of the Arizona Republic says that the City of Glendale is trying to figure out how to pay the remaining $5 million they owe to the NHL to help cover losses the franchise will incur this season. The city needs to find somewhere in the budget for that money by the end of April when payment is due to the league.
This is a new twist on what is an uncomfortable situation in the desert. Figuring out a city budget to cough up the funds needed to cover money lost means there’s city money not going to cover other needs in Glendale, something that doesn’t sit too well with some citizens and members of the city council.
Depending on what happens with the potential sale to Greg Jamison, the city may have to consider paying another $25 million again next season to make sure the team stays in Glendale for another year. For now, this story is just another sign that while the team is hot and winning on the ice, worries off of it aren’t going away.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 8
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 17
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 46
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)