Feb 25, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
While the rumors about the potential sale of the Phoenix Coyotes roll on, the reality of the situation in Glendale, Arizona remains as uncomfortable as ever.
A report from Cecilia Chan of the Arizona Republic says that the City of Glendale is trying to figure out how to pay the remaining $5 million they owe to the NHL to help cover losses the franchise will incur this season. The city needs to find somewhere in the budget for that money by the end of April when payment is due to the league.
This is a new twist on what is an uncomfortable situation in the desert. Figuring out a city budget to cough up the funds needed to cover money lost means there’s city money not going to cover other needs in Glendale, something that doesn’t sit too well with some citizens and members of the city council.
Depending on what happens with the potential sale to Greg Jamison, the city may have to consider paying another $25 million again next season to make sure the team stays in Glendale for another year. For now, this story is just another sign that while the team is hot and winning on the ice, worries off of it aren’t going away.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 69
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (92)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (72)