Feb 25, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
While the rumors about the potential sale of the Phoenix Coyotes roll on, the reality of the situation in Glendale, Arizona remains as uncomfortable as ever.
A report from Cecilia Chan of the Arizona Republic says that the City of Glendale is trying to figure out how to pay the remaining $5 million they owe to the NHL to help cover losses the franchise will incur this season. The city needs to find somewhere in the budget for that money by the end of April when payment is due to the league.
This is a new twist on what is an uncomfortable situation in the desert. Figuring out a city budget to cough up the funds needed to cover money lost means there’s city money not going to cover other needs in Glendale, something that doesn’t sit too well with some citizens and members of the city council.
Depending on what happens with the potential sale to Greg Jamison, the city may have to consider paying another $25 million again next season to make sure the team stays in Glendale for another year. For now, this story is just another sign that while the team is hot and winning on the ice, worries off of it aren’t going away.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 41
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 4
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 28
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 14
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination