Feb 25, 2012, 5:17 PM EST
Of all the teams on the hunt for players at the trade deadline, the Detroit Red Wings might not be near the top of the list of those that figure to be active. That doesn’t mean Wings coach Mike Babcock is hoping things stay quiet.
Mlive.com’s Ansar Khan hears from Babcock about what he thinks his Red Wings could use come deadline time.
“Change just to change isn’t going to be the approach. We’ve already done a good job in giving ourselves depth on the back end (by acquiring defenseman Kyle Quincey on Tuesday). We want to get healthy up front, but if there’s something available to make us better, we’d like to acquire that.”
So Babcock wants to see GM Ken Holland maybe grab another forward and give them some more depth. Does that mean Detroit is jumping into the pool going after Dustin Brown or Rick Nash? Probably not. When you think of what the Wings have done at the deadline in the past, think about their moves being tweaks rather than earth-shattering changes.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 7
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 23
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 22
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)