Feb 25, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Of all the teams on the hunt for players at the trade deadline, the Detroit Red Wings might not be near the top of the list of those that figure to be active. That doesn’t mean Wings coach Mike Babcock is hoping things stay quiet.
Mlive.com’s Ansar Khan hears from Babcock about what he thinks his Red Wings could use come deadline time.
“Change just to change isn’t going to be the approach. We’ve already done a good job in giving ourselves depth on the back end (by acquiring defenseman Kyle Quincey on Tuesday). We want to get healthy up front, but if there’s something available to make us better, we’d like to acquire that.”
So Babcock wants to see GM Ken Holland maybe grab another forward and give them some more depth. Does that mean Detroit is jumping into the pool going after Dustin Brown or Rick Nash? Probably not. When you think of what the Wings have done at the deadline in the past, think about their moves being tweaks rather than earth-shattering changes.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 13
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)