Jimmy Howard on Vancouver: “They’ve got a bunch of idiots over there.”

Feb 25, 2012, 2:26 PM EDT

Alex Burrows, Jimmy Howard AP

Seeing the Canucks snap the Red Wings’ home winning streak the other night in the shootout left Wings fans disappointed. For Jimmy Howard, seeing the way Alex Burrows celebrated his shootout-winning-goal left him feeling a bit burned up.

As Art Regner of Fox Sports Detroit shares, Howard had a few things to say about Burrows’ celebration that will leave fans in Boston and Chicago nodding in agreement.

“I don’t even pay attention,” Howard said of the Canucks. “They’ve got a bunch of idiots over there. There are only several good guys on that team, and they know who they are.”

Idiots in Vancouver that aren’t the ones that tried to burn the city down? Surely ye jest. Based on past instances you can probably fill out the roster of players you believe qualifies for that label. Be it Burrows, Maxim Lapierre, or even Kevin Bieksa the Canucks have a pretty “fun” reputation.

Of course, Howard could still be burned up about getting schooled via backhand and losing Detroit’s first home game since early November. Let’s hope we get to see these two supposedly non-tough teams get to go at it in the playoffs to really amp up the crazy.

1. drewsylvania - Feb 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM

But what does Brad Marchand think?

• blomfeld - Feb 25, 2012 at 11:29 PM

As an ardent LA Kings fan, who lives in Vancouver, yet acknowledges the sporting prowess of the Sedin brothers, I will state here “unequivocally” that Brad Marchand is vermin ! The only thing missing on him are whiskers and a tail … apart from that he’s a “rat” … or a “pipe-dweller” if you prefer … I’m sorry Boston fans, but there comes a time when the truth must be heard and now is such a time … anyway, if it makes you happy, I’m now beginning to suspect that there may be some “mental” issues with our new coach in LA ? … I’m not sure what’s going on, but recent events do seriously have us Kings fans deeply concerned …

2. metcarfre - Feb 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM

IDIOTIC ENOUGH TO BREAK YOUR STREAK!

• hockinj25 - Feb 25, 2012 at 2:54 PM

at least they had the streak. whatever team you root for didn’t.

3. sharksfan754 - Feb 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM

“there are only several good guys on that team…” did anyone else find this quote awkward?

• svensson1965 - Feb 25, 2012 at 7:52 PM

He sounds rattled.

• blomfeld - Feb 25, 2012 at 11:46 PM

yes friend … that sentence is indeed grammatically incorrect, as the usage of the words “only & several” in direct succession equate to a grammatical redundancy …

on a different note and with no offense intended … man are the Sharks ever lousy, eh ? … I mean seriously, what a bunch of over-rated bums ! … and isn’t the San Jose “Sharks” an oxymoron in itself ? … seriously, wouldn’t the San Jose “Goldfish” make more sense at this point ? … am I not correct ?

• sharksfan754 - Feb 27, 2012 at 6:23 PM

no, no offense taken. They’ve been so frustrating to watch these last three weeks. I’ve been talking to my friends and we all don’t think they’re legit contenders at this point.

4. kitshky - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Joe …you’re a joke.

Wat on earth would make Hawks and Bruins fans upset about a simple goal celebration? There is a difference between showmanship and being excited about a (yet another) clutch goal to break a history making streak, and being classless. So Howard’s upset, thaat’s surprising.

Congratulations on taking a great game between the two top teams in the league who both play an exciting puck possesion game … and somehow turning into a “story” about the rivalry’s between Boston/Chicago and Vancouver.

Try and keep your blatant

• kitshky - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Seriously PHT, would it kill you to let us edit our posts!?

(I was trying to resist bringing up what is either your blatant bias, or just your simple inability to come up with an original storyline but …oops)

5. chiadam - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I’m sure breaking a streak in the regular season will keep that little trick warm at night when Vancouver fails to win a Cup this year. Again. And if it doesn’t, the flames from Vancouver burning down will. **** the Nucks. Go Hawks. 2010 Stanley Cup Chamions.

• ikillchicken - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:44 PM

What was that? I can barely hear across the 13 point gorge separating our teams.

• svensson1965 - Feb 25, 2012 at 8:10 PM

@chiadam So close to being Champions in 2010 but Chamions are still pretty good.

• elvispocomo - Feb 26, 2012 at 4:04 PM

You never know, he might prefer “Champians” since they look like they have their own streak to worry about – what is it now, 0-39 on the powerplay?

6. t16rich - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:03 PM

It took snapping the home streak for this comment to come out. It’s all been said, this just makes Jimmy look like a baby more than anything

7. vanredstar - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Be nice if this site didn’t turn into a Bash the Canucks fest every few days, but being 1st overall does come with its share of people who want to knock you down, I guess.

Rarely is it so blatant as this, but I guess PHT doesn’t really care about journalistic integrity.

I’ll be waiting for the next hit piece…or actually, maybe I won’t give any more traffic to this site, as I’ve had my share of bad jokes and bashing the team who is (did I mention this already?) FIRST OVERALL in the NHL.

Joe, I’m sorry your team sucks, or the Canucks beat your team, or someone with a Canucks jersey cut you off on the freeway that time and made you spill spaghetti all over your lap (why were you eating spaghetti on a freeway anyways?), but give it up, or at least lay of for a few weeks, or someone who pays you for this tripe is going to notice you’re turning people off with an overdose of personal opinion.

Journalism, champ. Try it some time.

• drewsylvania - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Careful, they might delete your posts. Oh, no.

8. haterzgonahate - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM

prior to this story, i was marveling at the way the Wings and Canucks went about their business and stuck to good hockey, in a professional respectful way with no BS after the whistle and such. way to ruin in Jimmy. or should i say Joel? haters gonna hate!

• svensson1965 - Feb 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Yeah. The Canucks have had nothing but good things to say about Detroit and despite Howards tantrum I hope they continue.

9. sjsharksfan11 - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Gotta agree with Howard. Not a Wings fan but that was amateurish what Burrows did. Didn’t surprise me thought. The whole team is full of clowns.

• polegojim - Feb 25, 2012 at 4:52 PM

It was bush league.

That’s what happens when guys aren’t used to winning big. They over-celebrate things like that.

That said – Jimmy – shut it… and get even on the ice.

Go RED WINGS!

• kitshky - Feb 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM

No actually, they’re not. They’re a team that won’t even slap gloves down the bench after a goal … if you’re gonna make a comment at least know what you’re talking about.

It wasn’t bush league and in reality it wasn’t even anything news worthy.

• polegojim - Feb 25, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Ok then, childish would better describe it… and be assured, I’ve been fully aware of the Canucks for 30 years.

Know who you’re trading comments with before making silly statements.

When Vancouver hoists their first Cup, come back and tell me about them knowing how to win big and act like it. In the meantime, it’s all academic.

• kitshky - Feb 25, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Well then if you are so aware of the team don’t make ridiculous statements like they “over-celebrate things like that” because, once again, they don’t.

From players “shooting” their gloves down from the air, to saluting the crowd, to swimming along the ice, to jumping into the glass/ “crowd” … it’s not childish or over celebrating. It’s called scoring a big goal.

(and I’m glad you’re “aware” of the Canucks … we need more astute hockey fans like you)

• polegojim - Feb 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Glad to help. That’s why PHT has me post here.

• svensson1965 - Feb 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM

A new to hockey clip watcher. yawn.

10. drewsylvania - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM

To be fair, the writers don’t just nakedly troll the Canucks. They do it to the B’s & and Habs, too.

• kitshky - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Cant deny that …and we hit the posts and reply … damnit it works!

• drewsylvania - Feb 25, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Yep. Mainly because I don’t really care, and would rather increase awareness of how we are manipulated in order to help people make their own decisions.

11. babar61 - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Really? Celebrating a game winner after a thriller of a game is that bad? Would it be better if players showed no emotion at all? When did people turn so sensative? ” did you see that?! He smiled and pumped his arm in the air after he a scored a goal! What a jerk! Show sportsmanship, we lost! Our feelings are hurt! Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!”

• svensson1965 - Feb 25, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Yeah it’s like passion is taboo.
      I think that Howard was starting to believe the press about Detroits infallibility and he’s angry that the Canucks didn’t.

12. uscthom78 - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:37 PM

It’s equivalent to them winning the stanley cup so I guess let them celebrate accordingly .

13. seaner44 - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Can you say sour grapes?

• polegojim - Feb 25, 2012 at 4:59 PM

No sour grapes. They came in to the game as one of the best teams in hockey and left the same way. It was just one game that ended an already HISTORIC run.

I’d rather have the Canucks break the streak than a lesser team.

Watch for Mr. Lapierre. Bank on it: He’s gonna get roughed up or skillfully baited down the road and cost the Canucks some opportunities with stupid penalties. He was an inch away from finding out how well Bertuzzi can still take care of business. Todd warned them to tell him to tone it down and he did. Looks like Maxim isn’t a complete fool.

• elvispocomo - Feb 26, 2012 at 4:36 PM

As far as Lapierre, he’s been with the team for almost a year and hasn’t cost us yet. And remember whose fan base your talking too, since we all know about how well Bert can “take care of business” when he’s been accused of being, shall we say, overzealous himself.

• polegojim - Feb 26, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Big ‘We’ll See’ on that one elvis.

I know the fan base extremely well.

Love the city and like the team and fans.

I’m saying Bert’s learned his lesson.

Lap hasn’t had his yet, but never doubt… he will.

• blomfeld - Feb 26, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Great video clip Elvis ! … I went to Tombstone a couple of years ago and I enjoyed it immensely … the gunfight re-enactment was fun, but the highlight for me on that trip was meeting the “prettiest girl west of the Mississippi” right there in the Crystal Palace Saloon … as I was leaving town, I honestly thought about moving there ! :)

Anyway, despite the fact that you’re a Canucks fan, you can’t be all that bad with a name like Elvis ! (ie: just kidding as I enjoy poking fun at our hometown heroes) … allow me to therefore offer you the following little “catchy” number by the King !

14. ikillchicken - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Lol. He mad.

And judging by what a ridiculous smear piece this article is, he’s not the only one.

Honestly though, at the end of the day, this just proves what I’ve always said. People hate on the Canucks not because of any of the crap they’re always whining about. All that crap applies just as much to a dozen different teams. No. It’s just pure, undeniable jealousy.

• drewsylvania - Feb 25, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I’m a Bruins fan. Bruins fans hate the Canucks out of sheer schadenfreude.

It can’t be jealousy since we beat the Canucks for the Cup.

15. dolphincult - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:58 PM

sour grapes from Howard the Duck. No canuck fan here but dont be such a pissbaby jimmy. Nobody says squat when u give that fist pump crap with the goalie stick

16. kiopta1 - Feb 25, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I think jimmy was just annoyed at all the cheap shots van put on his teammates and the multitude of times he got run into and slashed.

• kitshky - Feb 25, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Ha … I love sports fans.

17. kiopta1 - Feb 25, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I used to love to hate the Avs during the great wings vs Avs rivalry…now I think I dislike the nucks far more.

18. blomfeld - Feb 25, 2012 at 5:01 PM

CANUCKS AND THEIR FANS MAY BE TICKING TIME BOMBS ?

It’s amazing how a simple and honest article like this, can garner such a hateful backlash of anger and wickedness ? I mean really, why is a fellow like Joe Yerdon being subjected to such vitriol and contempt ? … is it because he speaks the truth ? … or is it because he “dares” to speak the truth ? I don’t like saying this, but I’m now convinced that the Canucks and their fans are completely averse to the notion of “magnanimity” … in fact, I doubt they even know what the word means. For example, like it wasn’t enough for the team to prevail over Detroit the other night and claim 1st place overall in the league standings ? … no, they have to heartlessly “taunt and torment” the hometown Detroit crowd in their moment of loss. Or just like it wasn’t enough for Canucks fans last June to celebrate coming within a game of claiming the Stanley Cup ? … again no, they had to go on a barbaric rampage and destroy their own city.

I’m not a medical professional or a psychologist, however I’ve been around long enough to know that the Canucks and their fan base are now exhibiting all the tell-tale signs of extreme and advanced “sociopathy”. The paranoia, aggression, narcissism and unbridled anger are all consistent with such a condition and as we know, this type of individual is quite unpredictable and often very violent. Therefore my advice for people is to simply avoid contact with them altogether. If you do unfortunately come into contact with them however, then just remember to remain calm, speak softly and in a pleasant manner, while saying as little as possible … and then run for your life when you get the chance. Trust me friends, as a Vancouver resident for many years, these simple rules have kept me alive and safe !

• kitshky - Feb 25, 2012 at 5:17 PM

…wow.

Call a doctor, immediately.

• blomfeld - Feb 25, 2012 at 7:27 PM

“…………………………………………………”

• ikillchicken - Feb 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM

“I’m not a medical professional or a psychologist”

No? Really? Lol.

• blomfeld - Feb 25, 2012 at 7:28 PM

“………………………………………………….”

19. jason9696 - Feb 25, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I’m sure the majority of hockey fans agree with Jimmy Howard. No wonder the retard twins and the rest of the Canucks are by far the most hated team in the NHL. I hope their loser fans riot again when their team gets eliminated from the playoffs.

• elvispocomo - Feb 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM

You’re stats and references sure sound compelling (majority of hockey fans, retard twins, loser fans, etc) and it’s on the internet so it must be true… right?

• blomfeld - Feb 26, 2012 at 11:10 PM

LOL ! … I love stuff like this ! :)

20. svensson1965 - Feb 25, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I like Detroit and Jimmy Howard but if the Canucks can rattle him that easily he may want to sit out the playoffs. The Canucks won a tight game against a team they really respect and were excited to win. Should they not show any passion? It wasn’t an 8-0 blowout for the Canucks with them rubbing it in Detroits face. It went to the end of the shootout and there were no real fights or cheap shots.
    What does Howard think he’ll see in the playoffs? Hand holding and deep bows? Maybe he thought no one should show up against Detroit.
    Of course if Howard loses his third straight tonight he may sit out the playoffs anyways.

• blomfeld - Feb 25, 2012 at 7:56 PM

“……………………………………….”

21. blomfeld - Feb 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM

jason9696 – friend, be careful with what you say around here … at any rate, you can hardly call the Sedins retarded … to this day, no one here in Vancouver can honestly say they know which one is which ? … not even Gillis or the team owners really know which one is which ? … it’s absolutely incredible when you think about it, given that not only are the Sedins able to pull off a caper like this, but they’re doing it in the uber-techno world in which we live today ! … so now way man are these guys retarded … if anything, they’re both bloody geniuses ! :)

22. taytay099 - Feb 25, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Canucks fans need thicker skins I think.

• elvispocomo - Feb 26, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Based on the topic in the article, I think we’re trying to say it’s Howard that needs thicker skin.

23. dropthepuckeh - Feb 25, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Yawn. Canucks awesome in regular season and Vancouver mafia has panties in a bunch when they are actually called out on what the rest of league knows. Go Blachhawks, Sharks, f*ck even Philly or NYR, at least a team with heart and integrity. Lovers hate the Canucks as much as haters. Sukkit brough.

• blomfeld - Feb 25, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I think you’re seriously on to something here ? … with all kidding aside and notwithstanding the fact that I personally live here within the bubble of Canuckledom, one is indeed prone to seriously ask … “why all the hate ?” … I do have my own personal views as to why this is so, which I will not divulge for reasons of personal safety … but this is a phenomena which is now definitely starting to take on a life, all of it’s own …

24. matty11kat - Feb 25, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Why is it that when athletes say all the normal, uninteresting things, people get mad at them for being boring, and then when they say something interesting, people get mad at them for it?

• kitshky - Feb 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I agree and I got no problem with what Howard said, just like I have no problem with Burrows lil celebration. I don’t even care when fans say ridiculous things about Vancouver out of passion for another team, that’s what makes it interesting and worth watching.

What I hate is when a “journalist” like Yerdon takes one quote and then spin into another story so clearly slanted against Vancouver (again) needlessly slipping in crap like “Somehow the Canucks find a way to aggravate everyone. Go figure.” and “Idiots in Vancouver that aren’t the ones that tried to burn the city down? Surely ye jest.”

But then again it works soo … guess I’m the idiot.

• blomfeld - Feb 25, 2012 at 11:05 PM

kitshky – you’re not an idiot friend ! … okay, perhaps you’re a car-flipper or an arsonist, given that you’re a Canucks fan ? … but there’s no way that you’re an idiot ! :) … seriously, your analysis above regarding the likely “thinking and intent” of the PHT writers is exactly correct in my opinion … these people like Yerdon and others know precisely “what” to say and “when” in-order to fan the flames of controversy … and they have absolutely no qualms about doing so, for theirs is a profession entirely dependent upon such controversy … for me personally, I have no problem with it as I believe that this type of forum should serve solely to create “humor and joy” for all participants … nothing more and nothing less … if you want to get down to brass tacks, hockey is a joke, as are all professional sports … these people “play games” and get paid vast amounts of money for doing so … you can’t take hockey players any more seriously than you can take actors or rock musicians … whether the Canucks win the Stanley Cup or simply drop off the face of the Earth tomorrow, has absolutely no impact on life of the average person whatsoever ! … people need to remember that and keep things in perspective …

25. dacleaner - Feb 25, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Never having the lead, tieing the game with 16 seconds, wininng the game with the last shooter, breaking the home streak of the NHL 1st overall team. You wouldn’t be pumped? Luongo stopped all 3 Red Wings shooters and Burrows scored the winner.
    Trivia question.”Who was in net for the Red Wings when their home streak was broken?”
    Answer: Jimmy Howard. You mad Jimmy?

26. cmv08 - Feb 26, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Marchand stuck his foot in his mouth. The Bruins are poor losers. Now Howard has done the same and the Wings have dropped 2 in a row at home. There’s an old expression people use on the ice. “Shut the f*%k up and play hockey”

27. pastabelly - Feb 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM

People hate the Canucks because they are just plain smug and that starts with the coach and goes to the goalie and some of the others. They’ve won nothing and expect every other team to claim them the best. Jimmy Howard got a taste of it this past week and you can’t blame him for going off at Burrows. As a Bruins fan, I’d rather see the Candiens win it rather than the Canucks. That’s how much I can’t stand Team Smug.

• svensson1965 - Feb 26, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Really as a Bruins fan you’d rather see anyone besides the Canucks win?
      Surprise!

28. 6blueliner - Feb 26, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Anyone see what Shea Weber did to punk buroughs the other night in Smashville?

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches