Feb 25, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
Mikhail Grabovski might be potentially mere months away from becoming an unrestricted free agent on a team that hasn’t been able to re-sign him, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s on the trade market. While the Toronto Maple Leafs, whose recent slump has pushed them out of the top eight in the Eastern Conference, might be looking to make a deal to spark their team, Leafs GM Brian Burke isn’t planning on trading Grabovski.
If anything, Toronto will be buyers at the deadline and we could only see Grabovski being dealt if it were part of a much bigger deal. You could argue that, as a team that doesn’t seem to be poised to win the Stanley Cup this season, they should be focused on getting a return for Grabovski even if it hurts their chances of securing the eighth seed.
The Maple Leafs likely aren’t considering that course of action. That’s the peril of being on the playoff bubble and deciding whether to buy or sell.
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 0
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)