Feb 25, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
Mikhail Grabovski might be potentially mere months away from becoming an unrestricted free agent on a team that hasn’t been able to re-sign him, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s on the trade market. While the Toronto Maple Leafs, whose recent slump has pushed them out of the top eight in the Eastern Conference, might be looking to make a deal to spark their team, Leafs GM Brian Burke isn’t planning on trading Grabovski.
If anything, Toronto will be buyers at the deadline and we could only see Grabovski being dealt if it were part of a much bigger deal. You could argue that, as a team that doesn’t seem to be poised to win the Stanley Cup this season, they should be focused on getting a return for Grabovski even if it hurts their chances of securing the eighth seed.
The Maple Leafs likely aren’t considering that course of action. That’s the peril of being on the playoff bubble and deciding whether to buy or sell.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 2
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)