Feb 24, 2012, 12:18 AM EDT
Earlier this week, PHT broke down how wide-open the lowly Southeast Division really is. If that evidence was insufficient, chew on this: the Winnipeg Jets climbed up to first place tonight after they held off the Tampa Bay Lightning 4-3.
The Jets seemed like they’d win a laugher when it was 4-0 but the Bolts made it more interesting with a three-goal third period, including No. 43 for Steven Stamkos. (Stamkos now has a 10-tally cushion against Evgeni Malkin in the Rocket Richard Trophy race.)
Now, it’s true that Winnipeg’s divisional lead is a little misleading. They have 67 points (30 wins – 26 in regulation/OT) in 63 games played while the Florida Panthers (66 points, 27 wins – 24 in reg/OT) have four games in hand and the Washington Capitals (63 points, 29 wins – 28 in reg/OT) have three more.
Still, recent mediocre play from the Panthers and Capitals lends the Jets some confidence and their cushy schedule should help them stay on track.
With all that in mind, it should be an awfully interesting – if sloppy – stretch run for the worst division in the NHL.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)