Feb 24, 2012, 6:35 PM EST
Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon has waded into the trade deadline pool by acquiring forward Jerred Smithson from Nashville in exchange for a sixth-round pick in 2012.
“Jerred is a hard working, responsible, veteran player who plays well at both ends of the ice,” Tallon said. “He is a very good penalty killer, who has consistently ranked among his team’s leaders in face-off win percentage.”
Smithson, 33, has spent the majority of his career with the Predators, playing at least 64 games a year since the lockout. He’s a 6-foot-3, 210-pound checking forward with single-season highs of nine goals (2009-10) and 16 points (2007-08) and a fair bit of playoff experience (31 games).
He’s also sixth all time in games played for Nashville, which is…something.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 13
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 10
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 5
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 31
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11