Feb 24, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon has waded into the trade deadline pool by acquiring forward Jerred Smithson from Nashville in exchange for a sixth-round pick in 2012.
“Jerred is a hard working, responsible, veteran player who plays well at both ends of the ice,” Tallon said. “He is a very good penalty killer, who has consistently ranked among his team’s leaders in face-off win percentage.”
Smithson, 33, has spent the majority of his career with the Predators, playing at least 64 games a year since the lockout. He’s a 6-foot-3, 210-pound checking forward with single-season highs of nine goals (2009-10) and 16 points (2007-08) and a fair bit of playoff experience (31 games).
He’s also sixth all time in games played for Nashville, which is…something.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63