Feb 24, 2012, 4:39 PM EST
Mitchell, 34, logs 21:46 per game, including a team-high 3:36 on the league’s fifth-ranked penalty kill. With Jack Johnson in Columbus now, his ice time could feasibly increase.
Mitchell’s current cap hit is $3.5 million.
Once the new contract details become available, we’ll update the post.
In the meantime, enjoy this picture of Mitchell, a good-looking fish, and some guy.
(Image via Pitt River Lodge)
UPDATE: Hammond reports Mitchell’s inked a two-year, $7 million deal. That’s the identical dollar amount and term as his last deal with the Kings, signed in Aug. 2010.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 41
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)