Feb 24, 2012, 5:48 PM EST
Just when you thought he was out, Sean Avery might be back in.
That’s the word from Larry Brooks, who provides details of how the Rangers might throw Avery a bone by recalling him from AHL Connecticut, thus allowing another NHL team to claim him off waivers.
According to NHL By-laws 12 and 28, players claimed on re-entry following the trade deadline are not eligible to play in either the remainder of the regular season or in the playoffs.
With the NHL trade deadline Monday at 3 p.m., and the weekend waiver period lasting for 48 hours, the Rangers would thus have to make their decision regarding Avery no later than Saturday morning so he would be eligible for claim by noon Monday.
If another team claims Avery, the Rangers would be dinged with a cap charge slightly over $200,000 — but if Avery goes unclaimed, they’ll just put him back on waivers and re-assign him to the Whale.
This move (well, potential move) sounds like a last-ditch effort for Avery to salvage something from this season. He hasn’t played since an ugly incident on Jan. 27 when he scored a goal against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, jumped a Penguins defenseman and racked up 14 penalty minutes.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)