Feb 24, 2012, 5:48 PM EDT
Just when you thought he was out, Sean Avery might be back in.
That’s the word from Larry Brooks, who provides details of how the Rangers might throw Avery a bone by recalling him from AHL Connecticut, thus allowing another NHL team to claim him off waivers.
According to NHL By-laws 12 and 28, players claimed on re-entry following the trade deadline are not eligible to play in either the remainder of the regular season or in the playoffs.
With the NHL trade deadline Monday at 3 p.m., and the weekend waiver period lasting for 48 hours, the Rangers would thus have to make their decision regarding Avery no later than Saturday morning so he would be eligible for claim by noon Monday.
If another team claims Avery, the Rangers would be dinged with a cap charge slightly over $200,000 — but if Avery goes unclaimed, they’ll just put him back on waivers and re-assign him to the Whale.
This move (well, potential move) sounds like a last-ditch effort for Avery to salvage something from this season. He hasn’t played since an ugly incident on Jan. 27 when he scored a goal against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, jumped a Penguins defenseman and racked up 14 penalty minutes.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)