Feb 24, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Just about every pundit used the word “desperation” when describing the Los Angeles Kings’ side of the Jeff Carter-Jack Johnson+first-rounder blockbuster trade. Kings GM Dean Lombardi’s under a lot of pressure, no doubt, but does that necessarily make it a bad decision?
(Personally, I’d give the Kings the slight edge, although Columbus Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson deserves some kudos for making lemonade out of Carter’s lemons, but that’s just me.)
If nothing else, the addition of Carter’s scoring touch and knack for generating general fan distaste should make things awfully interesting in Los Angeles. Considering the presence of his buddy Mike Richards and another former teammate in Simon Gagne, Darryl Sutter could trot out an all-Philadelphia Flyers trio as his second/1b line. (Justin Williams could also fit the bill as a former Flyer in Gagne’s place, although that feels a bit like cheating.)
It’s an entertaining situation, but is it enough for the Kings to overcome some tough odds and hold onto a playoff spot? Tell us what you think by voting in the poll and sharing your illuminating comments.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 34
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 31
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35